1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2009.
  1. Yes, in my daily life

842 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Yes, I am more limited in hardware purchases now

817 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. I find survival difficult

302 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. No, nothing has changed for me

813 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. I actually feel like I have more money available

304 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. kyle2020 Guest

Cant say it has. Im 16, in college and have a part time job, so im not having to pay bills / taxes / car costs (yet). I can tell, empathetically that my parents have felt the effects, however my dads a professional (Police officer) and my mum works for the council so they have pretty secure jobs.

Until I get into full time employment (atleast 2 years from now, im going into a level 3 course to be an IT manager with views to move to America yeah (H)) I cant really say. Suffice to say its quite a scary prospect, wouldnt want to find myself slumming it on the streets 5 years from now.

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Its a very sad day in my office area ...today people in my IT dept. are being layed off...There is a lot of crying and high stress ...i will know If I still have a job within the next 3 hours.This SUCKS ASS !

3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Hasn't really affected me at all,m if anything it has been good for me. I am gaining more hours at work, due to people leaving and the company not wanting to bring another in - instead just spreading the extra hours around giving each employee a small cut.
    Prices will come down and the economy will pick up again towards the end of this year. It will take a few years to reach what it was, but it will be a slow and steady growth.

Besides, good things come out of recessions - like innovation and enterprise. People want to keep there costs down and so come up of cheaper ways to do things.

4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The economy has not affected me that much, but enough to stop me from buying a Phenom II or a new motherboard.

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I gots no job.:(

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well I made it threw this down sizing ! Still sad day here at my company:cry:

7. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on dodging the bullet DRDNA, the beers are on you then!:toast:

DRDNA says thanks.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My buddy got laid off last week and he sat right next to me. I have a feeling I'm circling the bowl myself. I don't blame anyone but the effin media for these problems ether.

9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Hey Mikek75 you work for Kodak?If so what state?

10. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Don bother me at all. My country is crisis from the day one we newer got out. That is funny and true.

11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    As Mr. Loadsacash and zero credit, I am really enjoying pressure on prices. I've got more in my pocket and investments are beginning to look juicey (lookig forward another 8 months until the European credit, rather than liquidity, crunch really hits in).

Business is slowing off though. Need to diversify into new activities. Many opportunities reveal themselves when the market changes... IF YOU SEE AND ACT EARLY. Sit and wait and you do no better than anyone else. See an opportunity, act, and do well.

12. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused:Eh? Where did that come from? No, I drive heavy goods vehicles, or at least, I do when a job comes in. Getting fewer and fewer days work as this crap goes on....

13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Lol its in your signature thingy ( Eastman Kodak Company)

14. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. That's reading YOUR information. :) :slap: :toast:

DRDNA says thanks.
  15. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, confusion FTW!

16. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just the media? Funny, didn't those people who thought it be a great idea to bundle up shitty loans worth nothing (made out to people who had little income) and sell them off as "investments" have something to do with it? :D

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You should also blame the millions of idiots who buy everything they cannot afford on credit. Well, those people are now paying the reaper, and when there are so many people in so much debt, it messes with everyone. These freaking morons think they are smart enough to buy a big house, yet they cannot read the fine print and see what they are actually being charged for it. I don't watch TV news I don't know how the media is to blame other than blowing things out of proportion which they do to EVERYTHING!

18. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, thats a bit harsh erocker. While I agree that there are plenty of people who are irresponsible with credit, not everyone is intelligent enough to understand the "legalese" that the small print is written in. The financial industry should NEVER have given these people credit in the first place. They have a responsibility to ensure that the loan is feasible on the income available, But hey, why should they care when they get bailed out by our respective governments. Money lenders are the scum of the earth in my opinion.

19. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Oh my my what a :eek::eek::eek::eek: .....rough day sorry.

20. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Don't understand the fine print? What's there to understand that's so tough? We will lend you money. You will pay it back in monthly payments. Because we are doing you a favor it will have interest on it of this much. It will be this much a month, unless the rate changes in which we will notify you at the time. Should you default on it, we will seize and liquidate.

Its now in the peoples hands to realize that their McDonald's paycheck isn't about to cover an 1800 dollar a month mortgage.

21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reality is harsh isn't it? What is so wrong about educating yourself on the basics of spending money when making a major purchase? Instead, people made the money lenders do that for them. Does that make any sense whatsoever? To trust the ones who are making money off of the loan to make your purchasing decision? Absolutely not. These people should of never ASKED for this credit in the first place. Through greed and selfishness, these people screwed up our economy.

22. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    While some things have gotten a bit worse, many have gotten significantly better.
    Like for instance I'm making "more" money, and things I want the prices are down on, like the E46 M3's I'm looking at, they are selling 10-20% below book value vs a standard 10-20% above book. House market, loans are hard to get, but houses are cheap and under value.

While my work just increases, most of my friends are decreasing and getting worried about getting laid off.

23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, considering that we've got the € it's not bad over here.

The main issue though is that my country's very small and we depend on foreign income and employment. We have companies over here who are based internationally, and well they're losing money albeit it's not due to anything occuring over here. The thing is that since they're losing money they'd be reducing work-force all over the world, even here where the € is still strong...

How can it affect me? Well I'm in my own business, I import car care and car body-shop stuff for resale.... the ultimate person who's paying is the consumer. Now if that consumer happens to be employed with these large companies (which we thought would always be stable due to them being worldwide companies) and they get laid off... I'd suffer because if the end consumer lacks money to buy car enthusiast stuff, well he won't be buying any but spending his money on food and utility bills rather than hobbies... On the other hand my company also provides car-body repair stuff which are a good price. My hopes are that this sector wouldn't be affected by the economic crisis - I mean if a car got smashed it gotta get repaired no matter what. Unless it got smashed beyond repair. So if I keep good prices (and I should since I buy most of my stuff from Europe) l'd still have enough places to market my wares and keep the economic wheel rolling on....

24. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    My company is making money like never before :) So they thought now would be a good time to cut jobs :( no idea why, it's all a bunch of BS. Out of 400 employees only 90 get to stay, with rules like no bumping, department seniority, salary employees go first i still lose my job after 26yrs. Even though it was not right the company will not even give me an explanation for there choice, So i guess the saying it's not who you know but *** *** **** Well i have always said remove the Middle Class and then see how much money your going to make !!! (ZERO) Without us they will have nothing also. Oh was i venting :)

25. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Agreed..... Fully!

If you cannot take responsibility for your own money, its "your" problem.

Granted, I do feel for the ones that got things going in a way they should have not had any issues and got stung by a large layoff or something to that effect.

But these people who were like ya I'll take my variable rate loan on a house that the payment is 60% of what I make a month... TFB.