1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2009.
  1. Yes, in my daily life

842 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Yes, I am more limited in hardware purchases now

817 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. I find survival difficult

302 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. No, nothing has changed for me

813 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. I actually feel like I have more money available

304 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:

I didnt say he gave the money to Iraq it was just spent there figuratively. If you dont understand that then I dont think I can make it any clearer.

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How can you spend anything? I thought Bush spent all the money in Iraq? :rolleyes:

Anyway my vote is you should upgrade something on your PC man. Looking at your specs maybe a new GPU? 4850s are getting cheap!

Yeah because we pay them to make all of our weapons......... wait no they don't.

3. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    He's in Australia.. they still have money.

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  5. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I think you missed the point.

6. rampage

Thanks Received:
    the 42 billion dollar plan here in australia might not even make it, the oppisition if fighting it, $950 on off payments for ppl earning under $80k, $950 per child attending school, $950 for full time students, free insulation in 2.7 million homes if you are the home owner and living in the home, 20 billion into schools, i dont know if it would work or not but hey i wont say no to $950 :p

7. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Lol neither would i $950 in me pocket = happy camper be i :p

8. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    $950 for each person is a huge handout. I know they want to stimulate the economy to get people spending but that $950 would probably go straight into my RRSP.

9. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    The more I read you the more I understand why I feel like arguing with the air.

Cost of Iraq War 2008: $630,606,657,030 (at the time of writing this post)

http://zfacts.com/p/447.html

10. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's borderline utopian. It's like asking for a fair world, which in itself is utopia.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    And were is that money going?

12. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I meant a capitalism that is not controled by a few rich and powerful people. One were the population has some control over. In which form? In the form of some control from government, or the UN or something new, if it is required. And by control from the latter I mean some rules, rules against monopolistic behaviours and an executive power that it does make them comply with the laws, and not the joke we have today. That's just an example.

I don't see that being utopic in any sense.

To the trash bin or what it is the same: help sustaining an industry that is dead by itself, unless wide open wars continue, unless someone reinvents those wars. Hmm sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

But what really most matters is, how much of that money was spent into the industry and how much is spent in the infrastructure necessary to mantain all those soldiers out of home?

No matter how you look at it that money is money thrown out of the window, spent to revive the industries that controled your government, in expense of all other industries and sectors and ultimately the populace that has to see their taxes spent in reviving the economy, instead of being spent where it should be spent.

EDIT: If they wanted to spend that amount of money into making US industry stronger, they could have paid the entire 2008 revenue of 10 M$'s ($60 billion revenue), 16 Intels ($38 billion), 100 AMD's, 150 Nvidia's...

NOW, that would make a difference!

But what's the point of spending so much on IT right? Well agreed, so let's get more serious and completely focus on the topic: that amount of money could have been spent into making 5 million affordable housing units. TBH I don't know how many households are there in the US, but considering there's around 300 million people living there and I estimate 2-3 people per household, averaging on the low, I don't know, it seems like a hell of a lot of affordable houses. Maybe if those had been built (reinvigorating that indeustry inthe meantime), people wouldn't have got involved in such mortgage crazyness tp obtain a house, and we wouldn't be into the troubles we are today. But only maybe, yeah, whatever, who cares, that money is 10 times better spent into destroying houses overseas...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  13. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    I live in Virginia, so lets see, Volvo, Circuit City, Meadwestvaco, Velocity Micro Computers (my last job), Best buy closing, star bucks, etc. Yeah times are tight, daughter on the way, wanted to build an i7 based PC, but I can't.

I'm working on contractual basis now, but I need permanent employment :( hopefully things will turn around.

14. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the crisis has made me lose 25% of my stock holdings
    its horrible, i'm really hoping that the stimulus plan that obama is trying to pass will help the economy. it needs all the help it can get.

15. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I'm with yeah. :toast:

He better try to get this economy back on its feet, instead of worrying about his blackberry.

16. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was reading on cnn.com that some senators think that obama is off to a bad start. i personally believe that he is doing just fine conisidering the mess bush left him to clean up.

17. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you on some part. About the mess to clean up, but he is kinda starting a little slugish but he should turn out fine.