1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does the PCI-E Bandwidth make a difference?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by MikeTyson, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    In my BIOS, as probably with everyone elses, you can set the link width or bandwidth or whatever it's called between 90 and 150

Does increasing this make a difference, and how so? And what's the max safe? :)

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The bus speed you mean?

Sometimes it may help increase stability in a highly overclocked system.

Some people say its a myth.

Usually no matter if it helps or not, you start to loose devices at about 120 to 125mhz.

3. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont recommend changing it. Very quick way to damage a card.

4. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I will just say that is a very uninformed answer. I have run mine at 120 for some time with no ill effects to anything. I just dont have proof of benefits either.

5. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I don't see why the option really exists? lol

Confusing :/

6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    there was a card or two at one time that would overclock themselves as the bus was raised. My main point about stability would be a good reason, but I digress with no facts in hand. Other than that the basic idea is to leave it alone.

Try this. Run lets say vantage or you favorite game that runs a FPS counter, with the PCI-e at 100. Bump it to 105 or 110 and see if there are any gains in scores or FPS. If not put it back, no harm no foul! :D

7. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Sneeky. I've personally never noticed a difference when I've done it. I'd imagine it would only make a difference if there was alot of textures being swapped between the RAM and the GPU RAM and the PCI-E bus couldn't handle it.

8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Be very careful when adjusting the PCIe clock. On several boards I've owned, a PCIe clock even as high as 110MHz can cause some SATA controllers to malfunction and cause massive data corruption on hard disks. Results may vary with different boards and controllers. If I do adjust this frequency to try and stabilize an overclock, I usually never go above 108MHz, and most of the time I don't even touch this frequency.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    they say that with GPU's with 1GB or so it will help with a small add in performance the only real reports of it were with nvidia cards the 9600GT/GSO etc but i asked the same question a while back myself before doing a full fledged internet search for answers. much over 120 you can kill HDD's etc i didnt notice much change myself only about 15 score increase in 3dmark vantage wich really means nothing unless you are 15 away from breaking a world record or something.

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    some motherboards OC the PCI-E bus fairly well, and people use it to help get higher FSB/CPU overclocks.

Some motherboards, it trips out the SATA controllers and such and can corrupt your data.

In regards to video card performance, it makes no difference.