1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does this 3Dmark 06 CPU Score seem a bit low for my CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alexp999, Mar 8, 2008.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I recently upgraded my Vista to sp1, after running 3dmark06 I am getting scores just under 9000! before I was running normal vista with my e6600 @ 2.8 and I got 10573. Now I'm running at 3.0Ghz. Vista itself feels really fast, except boot times seem to have got slower. :confused:
    It also seems to make no difference running my 3870 @ stock or 860/1200, I get the same scores?? I was getting about 75 fps on the beggining of the proxyconn bit, now i get just over 60, and as I say, changing the clock speeds does nothing! Anyway, I looked at my CPU score, I cant remember what it was before but it is now about 1700, and according to the web, it should be about 2000 for stock!
    What is going on?? Has SP1 made things worse? Cus everyone else on the net has said it has improved, or have I accidently set a bios setting in between the change over which would cause a bad cpu score?

Cheers.
  2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Suppose it could be either one. I personally have not noticed a single change since SP1, but mine came differently.....

Did you change anything in the bios? Are you sure everything is stable?
  3. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    did u get sp1 as a standalone download? as update dont work for me
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I got it as standalone, if i go into the bios, what should I look out for that could reduce the cpu performance. Also would it have anything to do with this:

[​IMG]

It is completly stable. Could voltages affect preformance? I thought it was just stability but...?
    I have checked the bios and cant see anything that could hinder the performance...
    Any other ideas?

Cheers.
  5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it seems sp1 has made things worse.. i see no other answer.. the system is now cpu/memory limited in 2006 at it default resolution which is why altering your card speed makes no difference..

could a cat change have lowered your score.. 8.3 for example..??

it probably wont have this affect in games thow..

trog
    alexp999 says thanks.
  6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    It must be I suppose, the cat 8.3's have made my gfx card more stable and games dont seem affected, here is a test I have just run on a clean install of vista, with no sp1 and gfx card on stock speeds, wtf?

[​IMG]

Is there another cpu test i can run, that would be unaffected by cat drivers and know what score I should roughly get?

Cheers.

EDIT: How much do the driver optimizations in CCC affect performance? could that be hogging cpu?
  7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    wait do you have speedstep or anything like that enabled?! because thats the only reason i could see why vista would say ur proc was at 900mhz.......and ya id say their is something wrong with your cpu score...im at 2.6ghz right now and i get like 1780ish...
  8. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    LOLOL, thanks so much for that post trog, I have just searched the net and loads of people are getting the same problem from the cat 8.3's, they are dropping 3dmark scores by about 30% which is about right for me too. Like they have said, games are unaffected but 3dmark gets really crapped up, and apprently its giving the cpu score a beating too. Silly ati they give us more stable drivers that do better in games but suck at the benchies. wtf??? I know its not important, but I just run 3dmark every now and again make sure my pc is running okay. oh well, least i know what it is now :D . And i guess stability and in game performance is better than benchies anyway, lol!

Thanks trog! :respect:
  9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2006 is more cpu limited than games are.. but new cats tend to be about new things.. this lot is about crossfire X and hybrid crossfire.. its seems other things have been made worse..

dont just assume the latest cats are better for your system.. they sometimes aint..

my XP crossfire system didnt like the buggers i have gone back to 8.2..

trog
  10. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Well these 8.3's are much more stable so far for my gfx card, I was getting lockups and little yellow triangles at stock speeds since launch, but so far so good with these. I'm not bothered about fixing 3dmark, dont suppose it will be long before ati release a hotfix anyway. My games seem to be same as before so np there.

Thanks again!
  11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well trying not to be overly pedantic.. u should not have been getting lock up with the earlier drivers at stock speeds in the first place.. but if u are happy it dosnt matter..

best of luck..

trog