1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does this make any sense?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's about my daughter's computer.

Every time I remove (and re-connect obviously) the power cable connecting PSU to wall socket, the computer refuses to POST. No beeps.

To get it to POST again I'd have to remove and re-insert the graphics card.

If this happened only once I'd have thought it was a coincidence. But it happened three times already.

Otherwise the pc works perfectly. Always turns on, never freezes, never bsods...

What on earth does the power cable have to do with the vga?
    :wtf:

2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats the weirdest thing i ever heard. the only thing that came to my head: try using another cable for the wall socket or another 6 pin connector for the videocard

3. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Static build-up is the only thing that comes to mind, i used to have a pc that if i switched plug sockets for it i'd have to unplug and re-plugin the motherboard connectors, else it would be dead (no boot/post).

I never narrowed down how to fix the problem (replaced that POS after a short time), if you have a spare power supply try that in the pc instead of what you have in there now.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like some sort of circuit protection feature of the PSU is causing the problem or the PSU is just going bad.

5. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's very very odd. Though I have to agree with erocker on both points. What kind of PSU is it? Any special features on it?

Could be the connector to the VGA card as well. Bad wiring or connection?

6. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Hard to imagine what may cause this. I suggest you try and see if reseting CMOS does the same as re seating the graphics card. If so, maybe the mobo battery is sad.

7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Somethings out of wack.

8. Clivuss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wierd! Have you tried re-seating the RAM? If you have already done that, then you could try checking the system BIOS config. Usually there's a setting that influences how the system reacts to a power outage - Something along the lines of "On Power Failure" and options to Shut down, resume/restart or standby. Whatever it's currently set to, try changing it for an alternate option and see if that resolves the issue. Other than that, I would suspect either the PSU shorting out (after unplugging, try pressing the power button on your PC to discharge any residual power before plugging it back into the mains), or maybe the systemboard or VGA card itself could be faulty. (Check for odd shaped "domed" or leaking capacitors). Good luck.