1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does this mean my card will play games better?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Cronic, May 6, 2009.

1. Cronic

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday I installed the Windows 7 RC x86 and so far so good. this morning i got on and there was a new driver for my quadro nvs 135m that was wqhl released as of may 5th. my 3d gameing gfx score went from 3.9 to 5.1 after installing. will this allow games i play such as Empire total war to play a little better of with better gfx settings?.......I know this is a noob kinda question but i have to redownload etw through steam and so i figure id find out now

2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    probably not, what videocard?

3. Cronic

Thanks Received:
    its an Nvidia Quadro NVS 135m

4. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    looks like it has some onboard memory and some shared memory, if they did nothing more than dissable the shared memory that would actually make that kind of a difference, why dont you check how much memory it says it has now? it should say 128mb [was 256] if my theory is right.

if that IS infact the case then yes, you will get tons more performance. yay.

5. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Uh?
    Shared memory does not hurt performance and disabling it does not gain performance, if game settings are equal.

6. daragez New Member

Thanks Received:
    not for sure!...

7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
  8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    I doubt you're gonna see huge gains in gaming performance from a driver update. Your card is 8400 GS based (mobile version) and isn't particularly powerful. That said, it should be at least a step above integrated. But my guess is that you're gonna see pretty much the same performance as you've seen in the past. Drivers can only do so much.

9. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    which is exactly why i pointed out what i did, its the 1 way that the videocards performance could have been hindered enough that unhindering[not a real word i don't think] it would make a difference that large.