1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does this seems unusual?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by veritasMAXIMUS, Nov 2, 2011.

1. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my New Rig with N560GTX on SLi..Everything seems so fly until OC:mad::mad::mad:

[​IMG]

This pic shows me running Furmark @1080p --Stock :toast:

[​IMG]

This pic shows me running Furmark @1080p --OC

[​IMG]

After OC Temps will rise up in seconds.& will ultimately cause driver failure.Bought these cards couple of days ago,I think i should send them for RMA. what do you guys/gals think?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    Be more specific?
  3. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong?
  4. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Clean and reapply thermal paste.

@ Two people above, when he overclocks his graphics cards the temperatures are to high, he's asking if the temperatures are normal for those clocks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I don't see an issue at all, in theory you should never be hitting those temps in game as Furmark is a stress test.

Game a little and record your highest temps with HWMon.
  6. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks pantherx ,GPU2 seems to be the trouble maker.Ive ran couple of test before,Ive tried switching the cards even when GPU2 in PCIe 1 slot.it makes lot of heat.Thats why I've switched them.Now GPU2 is occupying PCIe 2 slot & still cant keep up with temps :mad::mad:
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    My advice....

#1 - point the fan from your CPU cooler to face the back of the case.

#2 - add a 120/140mm fan on the side panel of your case if you havent already done that.

#3 - Driver recovery while overclocking means you either need more voltage or you are pushing the card too hard. so ease up on your clocks

------

When it comes to overclocking dual graphic cards, i tend to do them one at a time until i have found the maximum clocks for each of them - e.g clock up 10-20mhz a time test with MSI Kombustor for 30mins at maximum stress. and keep moving the clocks up until it fails. add some more voltage and carry on till i start to get worried about high temperatures.

once you know how far each of the cards will go individually then its easier to set them at a safe overclock.

#3 -
    veritasMAXIMUS says thanks.
  8. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    #1 I can't move around CPU cooler.right side is obstructed by DIMMs
    All i can do is invert positions..instead of Top, i can fit it on the bottom(Not sure if it'll help)

#2 Just to stop buliding temps With these cards I've fitted sleeve bearing 140mil today.

#3 I'm gonna try to separately OC them instead of both Together.

Thanks FreedomEclipse for this detailed explanation
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Upgrade to 6990 crossfire, than that is even more unusual...
    LOL!
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you cable tie the fan to the heatsink? Because if you can just attach it to the side that way( although having the fan a bit higher may stop you from closing the case side panel?)

You could set up a push pull system at the least without messing to much, fan at the bottom blowing air through the heatsink, top fan pulling air through.

Also are the gpu fans set to go to 100% when you're gaming? ( I tend to find this helps, and seems you've got decent cards so fans shouldn't be to loud)
  11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    attach the fan to the back of the cooler so its pulling the air through and pushing the hot hair to out the back where the 2x 120mm fans are located.

because what youve done in your pic is interrupted the airflow of the case which will effect temperatures. Hot air from the CPU is blown back at the graphic cards which doesnt help. so face it the other way.

**IF** you dont mind going a little ghetto with the fan on the CPU cooler. what you could do is get some long plastic cable ties and affix one to the front of the cooler so it sits just above your ram

2 akasa apaches in push|pull configuration will keep it cool. even if the front fan is sitting a little higher then the other.

Akasa apaches are just my personal preference, you could attach any other 120mm you want so long as its around 1400rpm or higher depending on how much you care about noise.

::::EDIT:::::

blah, beat me to it
  12. Gallatin Guest

your cooler is massive and the generated heat have a very weird flow.

change the cooler with a smaller and check for a better airflow.

the fan must "push" cool air to the fins and outside the case not whirl it inside the case.
  13. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    My side panel Fan is pushing cool air inside.is that a good idea or should i change it to a pull fan
  14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Experiment. Like I said above, in theory you should never be hitting those temps under normal conditions in a "no stress test" environment.
  15. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    From my experience a fan putting cold air in is usually better. Try dogging a fan in front of the gpus like a 120 pushing cold air through the cards, thats if u have the room in your case of course.
  16. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Took your advice & this what i came up up with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If i should do something different to keep things cool please lemme know :toast:

Mad props to FreedomEclipse ,pantherx12 & all of you guys who helped me :rockout:
  17. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice one man, if you grab another fan to stick on the top of that heatsink things will be even better.
  18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Use a program called Coretemp and give us a read out of your CPU temps if you can.

I know you got it overclocked so i just want to be safe and check the temps after you moved the fan around
  19. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you mount the HSF to push out the back? Just curious if you've tried that also.

It should be better blowing the heat UP through the heat sink and out the top than blowing it down for sure, as heat rises obviously.

Would let to see if your temps have changed.
  20. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    87*C isnt shutting anything down. IMHO that 980 core with overvolting is more where I would look. Almost 90*c isnt cool, but you have to take into account what you are trying to do here. IMHO your OC was either too far, or there isn't enough volts to do what you need.
    (assuming you aren't watching the cards go to or over 100*C when the driver will thermally shut down.)
  21. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:

This is what i got from REaltempGT

IDLE

[​IMG]

LOAD 100%

[​IMG]

..I think the Gfx card on the bottom got temp problem..when the top card is idling @34 ..bottom peaks @ 42 :banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead:..Tried switching the card..still same :banghead:.. like pantherex said maybe i should reapply thermal paste :ohwell::ohwell:
  22. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't my dimms are obstacting the Heatsink :shadedshu..only way is either top or bottom
  23. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cards actually read backwards. The warmer card is the first (top)card.
  24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    those load temps are fine. for the CPU. but it still running hot for a 4.5Ghz OC. when i had my Frio i would get 71'c when with my 2500k@4.9Ghz

hmmm......I recommend just going to get some plastic cable ties and 'bolt' the 2 fans onto your cooler pushing the hot air to the back of the case. (think Thermal take Frio and run with that kind of fan setup)

Its fine for the front fan to sit above your ram. the fan might be sitting higher then the other one but it would still cool it perfectly.

The only problem with this is if it obstructs the side panel.
  25. veritasMAXIMUS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen reviews & scythe ninja 3000 is one of the best air coolers.like you've said maybe i should tie it up to the right side of the Heat sink so the hot air will pushed out the back..