1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does Vista 64 REALLY need more than 2GB of RAM

Discussion in 'General Software' started by WhiteLotus, May 5, 2009.

?

Do you need more than 2GB of RAM

1. Yes, you REALLY do

65.6%
  2. No, It'll work fine with just the 2GB

34.4%
  1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I have 2GB of DDR3 in specs, and will be going to vista (finally) should i need another set of RAM. Do I NEED it?

2. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    I suggest 4gb of ram that what im running with vista 64. If I ran anything lower my oc would be crap I use like 3gb of the 4 when I run a few programs and a game. But for some reason vista just eats at my ram idk why.

Edit: Vista 64 idle mem usage is about 1.25gb to 1.50gb for me also

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I wish I had a screen shot of my idle Vista mem usage. I would sit a 1.25GB used at any random time. In game it shot up to 2+ easy. 4GB is great, 3GB is good, 2GB is just enough.

4. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    it depends what you are doing. simple browsering the web, e-mail, photo editing, etc. use 2GB

gaming would suggest 4GB or more

5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    2gb for me is lagging like asssssssss. Needs 4gb or more for multitasking and gaming. Everything else is fine.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    You don't NEED it. My laptop runs with 1gb and its fine. When your gaming you will want about 4gb or more but again you don't need it. I'd get more ram even DDR3 since its quite cheap now.

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course you don't need it. I would certainly recommend it though.

8. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ran 2gb with vista ultimate and it simpy WASN'T enough to game. back then i played cod4 religiously, and the game would slow down to a crawl every few minutes while it loaded from the hdd. after upgrading to 4gb, that problem went away entirely.

sure everything will run with 2gb, but not well.

9. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    no, i ran vista ultimate x64 on 1gb ram. it ran smooth as silk. i couldn't do much as far as multimedia and gaming but it worked for everything else

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    ah ok cool thanks guys. I game occasionally so i make the switch, then if the performance lags i will invest in some more.

11. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    yeah gaming, i would go with 4 but just browsing then yes, 2 is fine

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    LIES!!!!!!!!

I idle at ~1.25 GB also, so thats about 12-15% ram, no biggie for me.

13. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    no i do game occasionally. Why would i lie about that?

14. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    2gb are fine for occasional gaming. Your gfx is only 512mb.
    Most people chose 4-8 gb to avoid rebooting every 4-6 hours,
    i guess. At least i do :)

15. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    The idle amount of RAM is going to vary depending on how much RAM you have installed. Try it. Put in 1 GB of RAM and open Task Manager. You will see about 1/2 GB being "used" at idle. Put in 8 GB and see how much is used at idle: about 2GB.

Likewise at load you will rarely see anywhere near 100% no matter how little or how much because Vista will shift the prefetch to disk if there is not enough free memory.

Vista calculates how much prefetch it can load into RAM based on the total available RAM.

What I found is that if you have a powerful GFX card and powerful processor and reasonable HDD Vista will run pretty good on a small amount of RAM. The Aero features are pretty much GFX dependent. There are a number of tweaks you can do to optimize your installation of Vista if it seems laggy.

16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Really..... seriously is that true? Can anyone validate?

Sorry I'm skeptical but not trying to be a douce.

17. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    I say cyberdruid is right (though i dont have any links to back it up atm) because I ran vista on a desktop with 1gb of ram. Idle was ~200mb of ram at any given moment, and vista ran just fine. Then I had a toshiba laptop with 2gb of ram. Idle could get up to 512 or even more mb of ram, vista still ran fine. Now on my my asus laptop with 4gb of ram it can get up to 2 gb at idle! However, even crysis at high doesnt stutter, and on my little lcd screen that shows ram usage it never gets even close to 80% used so I assume vista throttles back the prefetch in the ram and whatnot so that it can be used for currently running programs. Also, vista itself is silky smooth, and programs open super fast. So im assuming like cyberdruid says, the prefetch uses up as much ram as it can justify so your programs can open faster, then throttles it back when you game or multitask heavily.

Plus Im pretty sure it says all this in the bragging section of the microsoft website for vista.

18. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you want for validation, try what he said. It's true, I've seen it since Vista was in beta. Vista's ram use is dynamic based on availability.

CyberDruid says thanks.
  19. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    The way i see it, people just think vista is a resource hog because they see 50% ram used at idle, then dont think to check what the ram used is when they are gaming (not over 70% usually in my experience) and multitasking (even lower). The ram usage is defininitely dynamic.

20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 machines with Vista x64 currently running 2GB. Both run smooth as silk, and both see gaming use(though not so much anymore on the x800XL rig...).

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Source links would be great :) Currently I'm not using Vista, but I'd like to know more about this.

22. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I have played every top game ( but GTA4 have not gotten around to it) in vista 64 with only 2gb of ram.

vista handles memory better than XP you don't really need more than two in most cases ATM

Now there are visual MODS for some PC games that you can install that will want 4Gb of ram.

Granted I have gamed with a QX9650 sli 8800GT / Triple SLi 9800GTX this year, but only had 2GB installed the WHOLE TIME. Never ever did I hit the run out of memory choppiness.

You want a little extra ram? Just install a USB drive:) Vista will use it as memory lol

If you buy DDR3 get 16000 chips or faster! memory is cheap now a days don't skimp on it IMO!

23. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's sort of like a RAM disk...and when you put the PC to "sleep" or "hibernate" all the apps, web pages, everything goes into RAM...so it flashes to life instantly when you wake up the rig. And when running it uses RAM to hold whatever it "guesses" you or the apps will be pulling up

Basically you can't have too much RAM with Vista...or too little :p

24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Vista is designed to use about 55-60% of your memory when sitting idle. It pre-fetches programs into RAM that it thinks you might use, when the memory used by this pre-fetching is needed it simply dumps those programs out of RAM and frees up the space for use almost instantly.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  25. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 even handles it better than Vista does(at least the first betas did...)

Install windows 7. It's windows 2008 server more or less. WHICH IS A SWEET OS only thing is that it does not have DX10 installed in it. IDK if you can install DX10 inside windows 2008.

98>2000(based on NT)>XP fixed (also based off advanced server/windows 2000)>Vista(based on windows 2003>Windows 7 based on windows 2008.