1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Domestic vs. Import

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by TheMailMan78, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and if you can't take the competition, get out of the game.
  2. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Our "free trade" is actually one sided. Our products are almost always tariffed in other countries. So what Candle says about it is actually right. I just don't think he knew that ahead of time. :laugh:
  3. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If we were to become economically reclusive, we might as well seal our borders and call ourselves North Korea Jr.
  4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't think it's the same in the US? I mean you do realize why most of the major car manufactures (ex. Honda, Toyota) have plants in the US? It's to avoid those taxes...
  5. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah.... lets act like a child and insist that anything different in policy is just like North Korea. Quit trolling, and grow up.:laugh:

They create plants in the US for corporate welfare and tax evasion here. They don't allow US companies to do that in their countries because they don't play by the same rules. It is a different country BTW.
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I hate to break it to you candle but the US exports most of the minerals to make those import cars. We stop buying them and that means we stop exporting steel and such. I wish the world was as black and white and you think. Countries by exports

Also take a look at this...
    Countries by imports
    Notice they didn't sum up the EU in that stat unlike the export? Thats because it would easily rival the United States in consumption. If we stop buying imported goods so will they. So your little theory doesn't hold water.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  7. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    There is more money in steel processing than selling mined ore. It doesn't make up a large amount of our economy either. So its not like buying US cars only, would actually hurt the US. He just insists remaining loyal to the US helps the USA, which is right. Because it does help the US.

I just think we should tariff all foreign country's goods', just as much as they tariff our goods. Unless you believe all other countries are more important than the US....? That would be unfair and unequal and not "equal trade".
  8. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys really need to keep on topic of cars. You obviously don't understand economics.
    DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  9. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's what I feel about American cars. Thanks to the United Auto Workers labor union, the auto industry has no choice but to pay RIDICULOUSY HIGH salaries to the people who build the cars. The US auto industry cannot afford the research and development to compete with the efficiency and quality of Japanese cars.

"A labor union is just a nother word for Mafia" - Grand Theft Auto 4

Anyone who builds cars for American car companies is part of a union. If Chrysler decides they want to start using robots to screw in certain bolts and such things, the entire union would go on strike. Therefore, Chrysler must continue to pay only God knows how much for people to screw in bolts. They cannot afford to do the research themselves so the US Government has to bail them out and pay for the research using money that we give them in taxes.

A Toyota breaks down far less than a Ford because they don't use labor unions at all. They tell their employees that if they unionize, they'll move their factory to Mexico. Now, Toyota has all of this extra billions to spend on research and development of futuristic technologies that U.S. Companies can only mimic.
  10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:

While labor unions affect overall profit, it does not directly effect quality. US Vehicles have plenty of features and do compete very well with other country's vehicles aswell. Toyota has extra money because their sales have been doing well. Not because of a lack of a union. I don't like unions but I don't blame an entire companies woes on them either.

The auto manufacturer that makes the most profit per vehicle is actually Nissan. ;)
  11. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actully America prospered the best in isolation.

The 1920's boom was an isolationist period

the 1950's boom was isolantist period

as for the dealer, do you think he gets the car for free from Honda?

The correct anwser is no he doesn't he gets about 30% thats called dealer markup. Some get nearer to 50% but thats not common, so most of what you pay for that new import goes overseas to the company head. Unless of couse we live in fantasy land now.
  12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol no YOU FAIL! guys call their cars she and her, "how fast does your car go?' "she goes over 170."

no guy drives card that is a "he" unless he's gay, so which is it with you?
  13. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that, but you're making it seem that purchasing a car will significantly "help the economy", you will be helping the dealer, and the dealer chooses who he buys from. If an American car is inferior to an Asian car, the dealer will get the Asian car which would look to sell better. Competition.

And perhaps I should rephrase myself, if the U.S stops trading with everyone else, this would be bad for everyone. Yes there are tariffs and all that, but in the end, the more we trade with other nations, the better for us (as I see it, I'm not pretending like I have a PhD in economics, but it doesn't take a genius to think logically).

To the member that stated I was trolling, I am not trolling, I am stating what I think is pertinent to the thread topic. If it conflicts with your views that is not my problem.

Finally, to sum up the thread, no car can be determined by it's origin, there are good cars here, there are good cars there too. Here might have more power, there might have a better fuel economy. Here a car might handle better, there a car might be more aesthetically attractive. In the end, it's what one is looking for in an automobile. Yes, I am biased against American designed automobiles, because IMO, I don't like the "plastic" look that too many of them have. I like old Mini Coopers and hate the newer ones, that is a personal thing. If there was an American designed car that caught my attention, I would consider it like I consider everything else. To each his own, and to not buy an automobile strictly due to it's origin is rather stupid in my mind.

But the hell with cars, I'm going out on my bicycle. :rockout:
  14. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actully russianboy consider this

Steel prices are at an all time high, there isn't enough to go around actully, we are shipping steel all over the world that could be used for American's, but the price is so high we can't afford it because of demand. Corparations have taken bussiness elsewhere besides America for this very reason, though they failed to realize by moving the work force off American soil they did it themselves. To go into economics real fast let me point a few things out. There isn't a single thing that is producded else where America needs that we do not already have. We have oil in Texas, Colorado, and Alaska, not to mention in our off shore rigs. We have an adbundance of coal and minerals that are also shipped off, or simply not allowed to be used. We have a massive unemployeed workforce because they where laid off to make way for dollar an hour labor in India. America is hurt more by forigen trade and the market the fact bussiness go elsewhere to sell and to employe than you imagine. Think about something during WW2 we where producing enough war material to supply, England and Russia along with ourselves. We have the resources, not only that we had the man power. Now not only is the man power unemployed but the minerals ect are locked up by enviromentalists. Forcing the US Economy to rely on forigen markets, and as American's we didn't take notice in the 80's and 90's what was going on. Want to know how to fix America, refuse to do bussiness with non American compaines when ever possible, i understand where all geeks, but the reason i didnt buy ATI was its candian, and Nvidia is American, i supported AMD over intel just because AMD is still Texan if there HQ isnt in Austin anymore. If they won't employee americans because immigrants are cheaper, refuse there bussiness. Its that simple. Where you aware of how much of a hit the boycott of non American products for a week back in i think 2004 actully hit the market abroad, or the increase american compaines got. You can't expect an American company to innovate if you take your money else where so they are broke. American car compaines are declining for this very reason, they don't move as much as they used to, the imports outsell them, and as such they are limited on RnD in the same manner. Want to support America's economy, the first step is support America. This goes for every nation, want to support your economy support your country.
  15. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Your heart is in the right place, Candle. ;)
    candle_86 says thanks.
  16. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    cars that have a special place in my heart

c3 with l88
    evo 3 witha 2.3 4g63
    r32 gtr v spec
    2g ford lighting (ford sucks)
    ae101 with 4agze
    jza80
    rn90 witha 1jzgte swap
    69 camaro with a SB 427
    ep82 with hrf gtr killer specs
    sc300 with 2jzgte
    dc5r
    cl1
    duramax gm pickups

assignment; fid out what all those codes mean
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    America has always suffered from acting as isolationist. I hate to break it to you in 1929 we had the "Great Depression" and it didn't end until we joined WW2. In other words joined the world economy again. As for the 1950s EVERYONE made money. The world was rebuilding after war. Everyone made big money. Also I wouldn't consider us isolationist in the 50s ether. Ever hear of Korea? Then Vietnam? Our war machine was in full swing....so was the economy. If you want a solid example of a how things should work in an economy its the 80s. Big money being made WORLD WIDE for the United States and we didnt use war as a crutch.

Also people bitch about all our jobs going over seas but unemployment is low as hell. If our jobs are all gone how does everyone have a job? As a matter of fact I work for a foreign company and they pay me VERY well. Im one of only 3 natively born Americans working their out of well over a thousand people. Being an isolationist just doesnt work. Hell the great even the Teddy Roosevelt knew that. Read some more history. ;)
  18. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    We calculate unemployment differently than other countries. If you work one hour a week you are still considered employed. :laugh:

Other countries have a minimum amount of hours before you are considered employed. It has to do with the way the statistics are gathered that will mislead you.
  19. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Daedalus has a point.

But as for Domestic V. Import, I'm originally from Germany, so I'm going to support my home country by driving a Porsche Boxter! :D
  20. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    Dude the Volvo logo that the company uses is the sign of male gender.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So your a dick for driving one?
  22. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    At least I can spell. Wrong "your" dumbass.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    All hail the grammar Nazi! After all the Nazi's drove imports :laugh:
    In the end you still drive a Volvo with a "male gender" symbol as its logo :roll:
  24. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I KNOW YOU MORON which is why it's a chick car did you read my post? guys drive cars they call "she" only a girl or a gay guy drives a car that's a "he"

= you're gay based on my last question and your response.
  25. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sigh...