1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Domestic vs. Import

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by TheMailMan78, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at the nurburgring times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times. Faster than a Zonda s, 911 gt3 rs, ferrari 599, oh and under notes...muggy conditions....now tell me that it can't handle well?

2. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    On roads like this:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Baxter&1s=KY&2c=Bledsoe&2s=KY
    I can tell you firsthand a better suspension and good handling are useful if you plan on going the speed limit or higher.

3. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take into acount that:
    1. The GT3 is slower than the GT2, and isn't even turbo'd, supercharged, any of that, all naturally aspirated.
    2. The Nurembergring has some long ass straightaways. Including one long enough to max out a Veyron.

Also, another good road where good handling is a plus:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=A...9:36.933317:-82.852218:0::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

Just one's I've been on.

Edit: And yes it's necessary to go fast on those roads, you haven't lived until you've done so!

If you're a thrill seeker or looking to test your car's abilities, I recommend them, ahha.

Just don't go over the edge because it's basically insta-death.

Like that game where the floor was lava in elementary school!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It may have long straights, but if you don't have straight parts you're never going to get up to the high speeds you want to take those corners at. It's not all turning, even on the really twisty roads.

5. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    And those roads are rare, I've been on those kinda of roads before, in fact there are some very nice ones near my cottage. I'm saying almost all roads here are straight and flat.

Also, look at the top gear track times I posted, that track is tiny.

6. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess it all depends on where you live, how crazy you drive, your desired level of comfort while driving, etc.

Haha, case closed!

Also, all Appalachian roads should be turned into professional racetracks.
    Srs.

Also, I'd love to see the quarter mile speed in this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumpert_Apollo

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the last part. Appalachian roads are crazy ass roads, we (parents) were driving down one and at point we came out of a turn had a quarter mile straight then straight into a turn....whoever says America doesn't have drivers roads....well they haven't been to these places.

8. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Domestics will ALWAYS dominate over an import... Yeah they have some fast ones out there, but what do you see running in top fuel? Domestic vehicles, because you're not going to put up godly horsepower with an import, just not gonna happen... I'll take a Mustang or Camaro any day over a honda, toyota, nissan. What import comes off the showroom floor with 500+ REAR WHEEL horsepower (the rear wheels is where it's at) and cost under $50k? Not one, but yet the 2007-08 Cobra... 45k over 500 at the wheels... Point, and match. Thank you :toast:

9. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    They need to come to the Ozarks as well. You're lucky if you get a quarter mile straight stretch.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/2431321.html

Highway 7 is insanely twisty and curvy. The stretch of Hwy 62 between Eureka Springs and Harrison is quite a bit more tame but still a nice drive if you can avoid the hay trucks mentioned in the article. I drive it at least once a month. You definitely need a more powerful car there or else you'll never make it past all the slow drivers. I've driven my Grandmother's '99 Civic on it and it was hard to get by anyone, plus the handling is worse than my '94 Cougar so it made it less fun. When I'm feeling brave (don't like tickets) I'll push my car to 70 or 75 on Hwy 62 which is 15-25 MPH over the speed limit and have hit 90 MPH passing people uphill. I'm sure many of you can and have gone faster, but have you done it in the curves and hills of mountains. Makes for a fun ride.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well here in Texas we have to look for a real windy road, if it does turn it tuns at such a shallow angle it doesnt matter

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Highway 1 is spectacular driving. It does have long straights, but it curves along the coastline and the view is spectacular, I mean just amazing.

12. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I'm fine with imports, as long as they don't actually get imported. The American government screwed their citizens with their ridiculous emissions restrictions in the 70s; and their inability to take down OPEC when they should have.
    This opened a huge door for the 'economy' car to come into play.

Having said that, the ability to take a small 1.8 liter, and make it twice as fast, is impressive, but a Honda is still a Honda.

To me Import vs Domestic is like putting a Ferarri 355 body kit on a Toyota MR2 ; all that flash, it's still a Toyota, but a Viper is ..well.. a Viper.

Putting aside the a-typical 'import' image; there's plenty of European cars that are beautifully designed and engineered (though more in the past than these days).
    The shame is that the governments crack down on those as well. The British love V8s or bigger, GT-40 anyone? TVR? Tomasa Pantera? Lotus Esprit?
    And same with the Ozzies; they're huge into old American muscle and European muscle.

Ultimatley, comparing stock/factory automobiles is pointless. A 1989 Corvette does not come from the factory with 'racing' suspension, but you can easily put one on, and it will zig-zag around a Porsche like nobodies business; but, put a higher quality racing suspension on a Porsche and the tables turn again.

The thing is, that there really is no replacement for displacement. A large, naturally aspirated motor with high torque, is a great base for building a fast car, whether in the straights or around the corners. What you do to the vehicle beyond that point will decide whether or not it's a drag car, or a track car.

The arguement by import owners of 'well at least my car can take a corner' is pathetically weak.
    Cause I'm real sure stock Imprezas are built for full on racing from the factory...mhmm SUUUURE.

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Nicely summed up. :pimp:

14. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't the replacement for displacement be higher revving engines with better tuning?

Also i'm a little confused about the whole domestic vs import competition here. Are we talking stock vehicles or are we talking modded. With the right mods almost any car could be pretty damn fast. We also have to consider if the cars are build for quarter mile times or track times. Theres some insanely fast stangs out there on the quarter mile that couldn't handle a corner just as theres some great handling euro cars that wouldn't do so hot in a straight quarter mile.

My personal fav is the Ultima GTR with a big block chevy engine in it. Best of both worlds. Extremely fast around corners and still pulling high 9's and low 10's on the quarter mile.

edit- downside is that its damn ugly

I'm also curious as to how many people here have actually driven fast cars and how many are just pulling book knowledge.

Attached Files:

15. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Drove a 69 Charger with a 440, and a 74 Mavrick Grabber with a 302 with 6speed tranny. If that anwsers your question, i have not ever driven an import, my family doesn't buy them, we buy American.

16. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    some of the thing's i've read in this thread just make me wanna piss myself laughing :roll:

so many have no real concept of what a good automobile is, whether it be imported or domestic.

definately a lot of book talk/bech racing/tale tales in this one.....

that is all, carry on.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Import or domestic is the topic? Break it down to the individual pieces of a "domestic built" automobile and see what you come up with. Most of the individual components in most American built auto's are manufactured out of the US. Just because it is assembled in the US does not mean that it is a true domestic. The true domestic was killed in the US when we opened our borders to anyone or anything foreign (NAFTA). The technology might be developed in the good 'ol USA, but the cost of manufacturing in the US is much to high nowadays. Most of your drive train components are still made in the US that's about it. So import or domestic you ask? I prefer US brands. I have owned auto's from all the big names (Ford, Chevy. Dodge). Domestic built auto's is really not a reality in today's auto market.

My first car was a 1965 Chevy Impala SS. 327 small block with a 2 speed power glide tranny. Not a muscle car, but it helped build the muscles in your neck when I put it to the floor :rockout:

18. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry to say blkhogan but the only people to get shafted from NAFTA was mexico + canada.

US companies outsource labour to maximize profit's, that's the name of the game in a capitalist society.

also NICE first car! :rockout:

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Drove a 650hp Honda Civic, a supercharged Continental, a 750HP Talon, ridden in a WRX STi, 400HP '68 Mustang, 250hp Tiburon.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    High revving and tuning is a short lived substitute for displacement. Does it work? Sure does but has its limits in the end.

As for driving a fast car I own and drive everyday a modded low 12sec Mustang GT. However I do agree with you and intel igent. There is a lot of fan-boys on here with deep fantasies. But that's why I started the thread.......good laugh :toast:

Enjoy the show!

21. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha, you really do think Mustangs and American cars are the end-all autos just because of the SSC and some rustbuckets with big engines, don't you?

22. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's why he started this thread. He likes Mustangs AND everyone in this world HAS to like them too. That's the way Americans think...

Snipermonkey2 says thanks.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No I don't. I love cars. All cars import and domestic. However I own a low 12 second car. Do you? :slap:

Not true at all. I don't like Mopars but I respect them for the things Iv seen them do. The 318 is one tough engine. However I drove a Tacoma for years. I started this thread to allow people to show their asses and knowledge....for fun.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  24. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Realizing of course that a low displacement high revving engine has its limits (limited by how much fuel and air it can shove into the engine) the low displacement engines seem to have a fair advantage when it comes to day to day driving. Sure you can't expect a 2.0L engine to beat out a 4.6L v8 every time (although there are some that come pretty close comparing stock vs stock anyway) the amount of fuel you save on a low displacement engine is noticeable. A 2.0L engine with a turbo is a beautiful thing :)

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is why I cant wait to see Fords ecodrive. Twin turbo V6 rated up to 400hp (so they claim). :rockout:
    Also your right. I cuss everytime Im at the pump.