1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Doom 3 HD pack+ RELEASED!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kwod, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's some quality POM right there, no wonder it's demanding.

2. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Downloading the mod now but its going to take forever since for me his ISP download doen't work for me i keep getting to .8 of 1.1 GB and i get a Network Error so i have to download it from Rapidshare which sucks

3. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Or you can try this (mediafire links)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350337&page=7
    post #160 and post #155 for extra mods (high polygon & texture characters/guns)

Im using his compilation, except no autoexec and my own cfg.

EiSFX says thanks.
  4. EiSFX

Thanks Received:

Thanks i was wondering where you got all the mods you where useing i tried to search for them but i kept finding other stuff for doom 3 that wasen't really the same

Also with the other mod i was getting weird anomalies where steam or fire or reflections should of been heres a few SS's to show you

Edit: Wow with your suggestions Hunter the game plays with no problems with all Highres textures and no anomalies like i was getting with the other mod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    got the game today and I've about 1 hour in. Brings back memories for sure. The graphics are amazing, a lot better than when it was originally relased back in the day.

I have a question, what's with this 3D Mode? Should I enable it?

6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
  7. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    trickson says thanks.
  8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Finally Thank You! :respect:
    Now to remove that other fucking thing that popped up when I turned my computer on, I did not even install the "Program" Great Looks like some kind of fucking virus!

9. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    If you are talking about the new BFG Edition, the graphics looks equal compared to the original version (or worse because lower res txtures and no shadows for the flashlight this time), but its much faster and it supports 120fps and 3D now at least .

They dumbed it down enough to make it run 60fps on the consoles, and released it to the PC. Even without mods (just messing with the console), you can make the old one look better, let alone the awesome texture packs and graphics mods what are all incompatible with this new BGF edition (e.g.: sikmod, HD texture pack, etc). And the lack of coop gameplay is just outrageous!

If you already played the original doom3, the only three reasons you might wanna buy this remake is to play it with Oculus Rift/3D, to play the lost mission or just to support id software.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    remake doom2 with hd graphics and then we can talk.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    we are still playing doomsday coop with the friends sometimes, but there is a Doom and also a Doom2 mod for Doom3 as well, and they look quite good using idTech4.

12. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree with that. I have both and this updated BFG looks a lot better. Even the close up's of the computer terminals within the game are clearer than the first. The guns also look more realistic vs. the original. But anyhow I am playing the game at 120fps with max PQ.
    My only complaint with the BFG version is they did not include the ability for you to use your weapon to hit your opponent such as close combat, just like you do in Left 4 Dead 2. That would have been amazing and realistic. :D
    The 1st webpage is advertizing, you need to skip it. I hate sites like that, because they trick people into downloading crap onto your PC.

trickson says thanks.
  13. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    This is not about if you agree with me or not, I stated facts. If you see it otherwise, you have a problem. Try r_lightscale 1 to get rid of "better lightning" id was talking about, and also r_overbright 1 if you want to lower the bloom, that's the new lighting. id is using the YCoCg-DXT texture compression now, which is much more efficient, but it also has more compression artifacts. Look at the difference : Original vs BFG Edition (note: the pictures are by Wulfen).

You can unpack the new idtech5 resource files with extractResourceFile and probably rebuild them with fs_buildresources, so there is a hope for modding after all, but no mods or texture packs gonna work out of the box.
    It's awesome that it's fully multi-threaded now and it runs amazingly fast on everything (even on my ion-atom based little server), but the (all around) lower visuals and the lack of co-op makes this an inferior console port at its current state, sadly:/

edit: This might be very good for the console owners who did not play the original, but not worth it for the PC players imho (except the 3D perhaps). I honestly hope that id will get enough income from this cash-in, and they can make an awesome Doom4.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    O.K. I see your point now. Interesting because the original DOOM 3 ram like crap on my system, couldn't max out the PQ too much. This BFG verison is maxed to the hilt.
    Oh, a side note which I've notices, without any moddifications this BFG version does look better than the original DOOM 3.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  15. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Yes, if we need to point out some good about this release, one would be the much better performance for sure. Again, it's even plays smooth on my dualcore-atom+ion based little box, which is truly remarkable. The other thing is the adoption of the new idtech5 resource files, which stores the data in a binary form and thanks to that, the game loads things in an unprecedented speed.

The main concern is that the game code was also moved into the executable like with Rage, and that could make modding difficult. Well the whole thing will get GPL-ed, so there is hope:)

16. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Question, if I apply these textures will I have to start over or can I continue with my saved game?
    I have a question, how on earth do you apply these tecture mods? I tried following some online instructions but did not work. Where do we put the files after you unpack them via RAR? When I tried applying the pack it gave me an error that it could not load my saved game.

Thanks,
    Oh I also failed to mention I borrowed the original DOOM 3 off a friend back in the day, never bought it, so I suppose for me buying the BFG version.

I found this:
    [ Guide ] How to mod DOOM 3 for insane graphics
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1140722/guide-how-to-mod-doom-3-for-insane-graphics

17. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I would be happy to help, but (as I already mentioned above) no mod or any of the texture packs are compatible with the BFG edition. All the mods are only for the Original Doom3, and you simply can't mod the BFG Edition at the moment:/

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Just played BFG a bit and I like it. Game runs incredibly smooth. I hate only one thing about its gameplay: they haven't taken into consideration that Martian gravity has to be much weaker. Sure in Doom and Doom 2 it didn't matter but here they could have implemented it ...

19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Yes I forgot. Hopefully modders are working on it.

20. HeXen

HeXen New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didn't used to like Doom 3 when it came out. hyped too much and i had over expectations of it. but lately i've had this urge to want to replay it again, but i never found it actually scary, just kinda a series of knee jerk "oh crap" reactions. So not sure if i wanna pay 30 for it but wonder if sikkmod works on this version.

21. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Well i have to say i have tried both this Mod and the BFG edition and i have to say this mod has alot higher/better textures then the BFG edition but also the BFG edition is a improvement over the origional still so if you are looking for the best i would use this mod

22. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Oh my god it looks like a 2012 game!

Kwod says thanks.
  23. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    The BFG definitely plays a lot better than the original one, and looks a lot better too. (Versus the Original without mods).
    Once the texture modding is released for BFG it will look even better. I'm fighting the Guardian now.

24. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I think the expansion pack (Resurrection of Evil) won't disappoint, you should definitely play it once if you like corridor shooters. Just make sure you play it with a "retro mindset", so don't expect things what you would expect from a modern game. Imo, the key to have great fun with Doom is to play it on high difficulty where any mistake might turn out to be fatal.

Again? Didn't we agree already that it doesn't look any better? It plays a lot better indeed and it also has some very nice technical advancement thanks to the idtech5 bits they threw in, but it does not look better. It looks the same (BFG is brighter but that's just settings nothing else. They also fixed some animation bug and added or removed some lights or shadow casting objects here and there, but it has the very same look most of the times).
    If you insists comparing the two versions, you could say that BFG looks like the HIGH settings in Doom3 with some extra brightness, while there was also a higher (ULTRA) setting in the original.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  25. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Actully if you look closely the textures look almost worse in the BFG edition