1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DOTA 2: Free to Play Confirmed

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You get a lot of those in competitive games anyway, DotA is no different. You need to have a lot of skill to be able to enjoy DotA, much less for LoL. I have been playing DotA on and off for 7 years now, and I can still find myself playing like a complete noob at times. The skill diference between the top DotA players and a player 500 games in is enormous.

Edit: Oh, and because in DotA(2) the actions of one player in a 5 second time window can completely change the outcome of a game, 4 people gets frustrated for every mistake you make. This trait makes DotA(2) players one of the most short tempered and foul mouthed of all gaming communities. LoL more forgiving for mistakes made by one player, but because there are so many more noobs playing LoL the same outcome is achieved.
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    The vast majority of the Dota community is exactly as you describe.

The game is fun as hell though, hard too.
  3. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Game is fun only when you know how to play the game, that is, knowing the 4 abilities of each of the 100+ heroes, knowing roughly how powerful each of the 100+ items are, and knowing which item to buy and how to skill build each hero. Also, some heroes like Lycan or VS plays almost completely different from others you absolutely need to know what to do. I haven't started on what I term "Chinese heroes" eg Windrunner, Leviathan etc, where their role is completely oblivious to anyone unless you know what to do beforehand by reading guides, watching replays etc.

The difference between pro players and noob players is that pro players will always be lucky, surviving with single digit HP, landing a perfect skill, etc.
  4. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Much is at stake when you make a mistake in Dota, because it is designed to reward good play and punish bad play as much as possible.
    In this case LoL is better in the sense that it has a tutorial and a co-op vs AI mode which you can have fun.
    Basically a large part of the community already forgot a game is meant for fun ultimately. (Note that doing crazy things in a Dota style game do ruin the fun of others.)
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I think they are waiting on the next gen of consoles. That way they can drop a "complete package" on the console users and the PC gamers all at once and make a HUGE splash on consoles user base. People will forget all about Halo and Uncharted when the play the HL trilogy. Any game after that people will be BEGGING for more Valve games on the console.
  6. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I've got about 1500 LoL games in just over a year of playing now and about 300 games of DOTA 2 and I think that LoL is just 1000x better. Graphically, LoL just works. DOTA 2 might have a slight edge in graphics, but the art style of LoL beats it out. Mechanically, LoL wins again I think. DOTA is just too boring and just doesn't bring a lot to the table for me.

Now, keep in mind this is my opinion. DOTA 2 is by no means a bad game, at all. It's just not my cup of tea.
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    LoL is a very forgiving game geared towards your average gamer: easy to access, lots of space to make mistakes, and occupies the space of COD in FPS games (Battlefield will be DotA(2))

I had arguments with my friends about "fun", there are many ways a game can be "fun": most kills, highest points, etc. For me fun is the satisfaction I get when I perform my role as best as I can in the game, regardless if I lost badly.

LoL holds the advantage of being a more fun game until a certain skill level when DotA 2 takes over as the more entertaining game. I am well past that point, I appreciate the ability to engage and get first blood before the 1 minute mark, the ability to completely change the outcome of the game with a well placed skill, finishing a 40 game with only Boots of Speed, completely denying the gameplan of the opponent's jungler etc. These kinds of things you cannot ever do in LoL, where its about farming, farming, 1 minute teamfights around Dragon and Nashor. Come and think about it the last time I stuck to playing in a lane like how you should do was months ago.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer

Thanks Received:
    Fabry Perot cavity,AlGaAs-GaAs Heterojunction
    The real reason for not releasing HL3 is that valve doesn't like single player games anymore.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/26/no-more-valve-single-player/

May be because of Piracy.:banghead:
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I think you're using the wrong words here, by saying those are things you cannot ever do in LoL. I've seen and done those things, it's not common but if you can get fed early with a hyper carry like Trynd, thats going to be one fast game. Overall though I don't play Classic anymore, it's just not dynamic enough, I stick to dominion and roam where I please and enjoy shorter matches and fighting mostly champions without worrying a ton about playing tug of war in a lane.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well if its not pay to win, them i'm all for it. gimme.
  11. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'd highly suggest playing some League of Legends just to get your bearings straight, people in these types of games are notorious ragers.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Rangers?
  13. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Only if you play during off hours (any time before about 8 PM central). I find that the later I play League of Legends, the more polite and understanding people are.

But anyway, DOTA2 has a long ways to go to compete with LoL. Last time I played, it was very clunky and there were boatloads of balance issues. Who thought it was a good idea to have a CC ability work at like 1200 range? I have no idea.
  14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Its true that you can always do those things in LoL, but the metagame is against you: In DotA, if the outcome is no kill, minimal harrass, the 3 mins of non farming by your opponent's jungler is very much appreciated however in LoL it doesn't really affect the gameplay much. Also, in DotA you don't necessarily need to be fat to win the game rapidly, you just need to selectively push, land a successful gank and pick off 2 heroes, and then use the 30 second window to burst down the front door. This rarely happens below the 10-20min mark in LoL.
  15. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I won't be playing Dota then. Until I can put "good at videogames" on a resume I will just stick with the games I can play casually. :laugh:
  16. Xyvik New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since it's free you should still give it a go. I've played about 50 games tops, and all of those just against the AI and I've had a blast. I get my butt kicked, even by easy AI, way more often than not, but I find the gameplay extremely addicting and keep coming back when I've got some spare time.

Also,
    I must disagree. Team Fortress 2 is the best F2P game out there by rather a very large margin :laugh:

(and as for the HL2: Ep3 side-thread going, Valve stated in an interview that was 'supposedly' about Ricochet that they are constantly changing and updating games and they would prefer not to release details that might just change three months from now. Also, comparing Ep3 to D3 is such a huge mistake. Blizzard doesn't have near the track record of Valve, especially long-term)
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  17. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    After the store update, I got this texture corruption :

[​IMG]

LOL :laugh::laugh: Happened with WD, VS, Zeus, and couple more..

Also, if you won a match, you'll get free item/accessories. And you'll also get free item if you got the highest kill count
  18. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear DOTA2 is going to be F2P. I've been waiting forever to get into the Beta. Did Valve provide any release date yet?
  19. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Do you want Beta invitation? PM me if you want, I got plenty to be gifted :laugh:
    Hilux SSRG says thanks.
  20. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Sent you a PM. Many thanks!! :D
  21. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I want a Beta key too! :D PM sent too.
  22. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    the trailer looks pretty cool. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.
  23. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Enjoy the game :laugh:

EDIT : it's all gone. popswala, Mussels, and Isenstaedt got the last 3 hehehe. Enjoy!
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    Isenstaedt says thanks.
  24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd like one
  25. Isenstaedt

Isenstaedt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me too!

It uses the Source engine = low system requirements.