1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Double whammy gene therapy clears HIV from body

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Sep 22, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So does this mean that the HIV-free patients are actually completely cured? It's not clear from the article, but I have a feeling that it's still there and they can infect people with it. Either way, this is a fantastic development. :rockout:

As ever, lots of links in the original article.

New Scientist

Riotpump, sttubs and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  2. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm on my way to have lots of unprotected sex with hookers right now!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    qubit says thanks.
  3. Riotpump

Riotpump New Member

Thanks Received:
    Appreciate the info. I agree in that it's probably not completely cured, as in polio vaccination. This could become a top drug, or therapy though to keep it gone/maintained to stay negative at some point. As the saying goes..."There's no money in the cure".

4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear. Though this still means that you're still carrying HIV but you're not affected by it. Which means you still have to make certain precautions when having sexual intercourse or when you donate blood to blood banks and so on. I mean if you're immune to HIV, others aren't. Unless transferred blood would also carry enough modified blood cells for others to acquire immunity naturally from it. Which could theoretically end up in a way that entire human race will carry HIV and be immune to it. But this is a very far fetched theory, if we abandon the idea of getting rid of HIV instead of just blocking it from damaging us.