1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Doubt about 12v rail

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by samt1687, Jan 2, 2011.

1. samt1687 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this ECS A780GM-A Mobo, and since I bought my ATI5770 I've been having issues with vertical lines, black screen, and hypertransport sync flood error.

I've been doing almost everything to fix it, no luck so far. And, after some readings I decided to check the voltages. The crappy thing is that my mobo's bios does not show the voltage, so I used speedfan and aida64 to check it and:

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/voltq.jpg/

The first thing I thought was "my PSU is bad"... it's a Thermaltake TR2 750w, 6 months old. The thing is that my brother also has a ECS mobo, so I installed speedfan to check his voltage too. He has another PSU, and for my surprise, speedfan showed that the 12v was in 4,8v too.

Why? if anyone knows... Are ECS mobos that bad? :S

Thanks!
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    the mobo voltages are almost 100% incorrect, dont trust them. that PSU should be fine, may be drivers

my old ASrock used to report 12V as 7.4-6V
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    First you carnt trust software voltage readings there often way out. Best to use a multi meter on the yellow & black pins on a molex connector.

You have a pretty good psu so i doubt thats your prob its more likely theres a fault with your new 5770 gpu. Try another graphics card see if the prob goes away.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Your psu is fine, I am wondering why you are running 4gb and a 32bit OS, that won't be the issue, though if your GPU has 1gb ram you only have 2.5-2.75gb ram useable in Windows, move to x64 if you can.

Also curious as to what driver version you are running with your 5770, advise. Also is your system overclocked? have you tried backing down to stock if it is to see if that helps the issue? Have you moved from an Nvidia card to your 5770? did you run driver sweeper? Have you done a reinstall of Windows? Do you have these issues in Windows, in games or just randomly in either?
  5. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    try the latest cpu-z from here

the previous versions used to say i had a 2.5 to 4 volt over volt and i agree with sir_real check you voltages with a multimeter even the cheapest ones are usually accurate
  6. samt1687 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was using W7 x32 because the first thing I did with my GPU was taking it to the store to test it, twice, and both times they said my GPU was fine, and it could be a driver issue. So I change my W7 x64 to x32, without any luck, so I'm using W7 x64 again, I forgot to update my system specs.

Right now I'm using the Catalyst 10.12, but the vertical lines have been there since always. I did overclocked my system once, to see if everything was more stable, but it wasn't. Now I changed my CPU multiplier from 11.5 to 10.5 and I've been really stable lately... today I just got a "ATI display driver stopped responding and has recovered succesfully" and nothing else.

Tried driver sweeper... tried different memory... tried a lot of things. By downclocking my CPU from 2300 to 2100 fixed a lot of things... I don't know why... Does anybody know?

7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    CPU on way out? tried prime 95/occt etc to stress it, doesn't seem right it becomes stable downclocking the CPU :confused: lower the vcore, see if that helps you out.