1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Downclocking Radeon cards and the impact on media playback

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by fullerms, May 10, 2009.

1. fullerms New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

Like many others, I have been downclocking my AMD 4870 card to reduce the power consumption in 2D mode to reduce heat and save $$$. Using ATT worked like a charm, but there is a downside to downclocking.

It appears that downclocking a AMD 4870 below a certain threshold makes advanced AVIVO video options like Deinterlacing and denoise to dissappear. Details here

Here's the short summary:

-------------------------xxx--------------------------
    Hardware: Palit Radeon 4870 1Gb Sonic Edition
    Catalyst 9.4
    ATI Tray tools version 1.6.9.1372

2D Clock settings:

160 Core, 225 Mem @ 1.083 volts.

Issues:

Under CCC Avivo video deinterlacing options, only Bob and Weave are available. Advanced deinterlacing options like Adaptive, Motion Adaptive and Vector adaptive are not available.

Denoise and Edge enhancement not available.

Solution:

Increased 2D clock settings to 500 core / 500 mem @ 1.143 volts

All Avivo options are available. No noticeable increase in temperatures.

-------------------------xxx--------------------------

The lack of AVIVO options affects video playback and has a noticeable impact on video quality. If other radeon owners can help to test and validate my findings, it will help people who use their PCs for media playback.

Please provide a short summary of your hardware, OS and ATT version alongwith clock settings when you post.
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, underclocking definetly has a negative effect on hardware accelerated video playback. To counter this, just create another profile with higher GPU/MEM clocks and stock voltage (or use your current 3D profile). If you do any movie watching, just switch to the profile, and then back to the 2D profile, when you're finished. You'll want your GPU running at full speed for the total benefit of hardware accelerated playback/encoding/decoding...

2D Profile- 160/225 @ 1.083v
    UVD/Movies/3D Profile - 750/900 @ 1.263v

Just examples...
  3. fullerms New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree with you nafets. I did not have any problems with hardware accelereated playback. Even 1080p HD clips play smooth @ 160 /225. The issue is with AVIVO video options.

What I am trying to do here is to create a database of the "UVD sweet spot" for various cards. For example, my 4870 works fine @ 500 / 500 / 1.143 with all the AVIVO options available. Far lower than the 3D profile. So if other users can validate my findings for the 4870 thats a start. And if owners of other radeon parts like the 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx series can pitch in with their settings we will have a nice little reference list.

Btw,
    How to create a seperate UVD profile under ATT? I know can use application profiles, are you mentioning any other method?
    Last edited: May 10, 2009