1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

downloadable Windows 7 home premium?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by a_ump, Oct 6, 2010.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    I had a laptop that i just purchased, but i was gone for 9 days, forgot the password, so i formatted with windows vista. Now i'd like to get it running 7 again since i'm back. Now i have the product key underneath the laptop but i can't find a way to get windows 7.

Basically i'm in a college dorm so torrents don't work, so i've googled and can't find anyway to download it and then use my product key. Thanks

2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    don't you have a restore dvd/partition which came with your laptop? so you can roll back to factory defaults.

there's no legal way to download windows 7 (only subscribers can). it's easier to find someone who has a dvd so you can install from it and enter your product key. and btw you can't activate it via internet only by phone.

3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i would but i hate all that bloatware OEM's fill up desktops and laptops are even worse. So yea, not really tryin to go through that PITA. Just want the software to use my key,

4. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Not sure the key will work with "any" version of windows. You can ask your manufacturer to get a DVD with it perhaps ?

5. white_wolf

white_wolf

Thanks Received:
    a_ump says thanks.
  6. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    MDL is really a gray area as far as illegal downloading, MDL has hosted those isos in that link, and there are also isos hosted by official MS servers linked on their forums, so yea.

I'd say, though, that the key on the bottom of that laptop won't work for any retail win7, as it's an OEM key. You might get away with calling MS activating that way.

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    great first post White_wolf. :toast:. appreciate it