1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Downloading Work and Crunching later?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Papahyooie, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to download work and then crunch it later? Reason I ask is, i'd like to set my laptop to crunch / fold while its sitting idle at work, but Im pretty sure our network will block it and even if it doesnt I dont want the higher ups to get mad for using up bandwidth. So what I want to do is download work to do at home, then fold/crunch it at work. Is this possible?

2. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Papa,

You can set ur lappie to work between specified times of the day and specific days in a week. Further, u can specify what time of the day, ur lappie can connect to the WCG servers. Just check out the Advanced->Preferences. U can make all those changes there. For configuring proxy at work, use Advanced->Options->HTTP proxy

WCG workpackets that get downloaded and finished WU that get uploaded are very small in size...they will not exceed 10Mb. So don't worry about u using up the bandwidth.

Papahyooie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Beware, WCG tasks usually have just a few days deadline.

Papahyooie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    In addition to what has already been mentioned, you could go to the advanced menu/preferences/network preferences and set the workload buffer to 2 instead of .x, this way the Client will DL 2 days worth of WUs. When you go home just manually update your project to make sure the completed WUs get uploaded regularly.

I did this on both my computers b/c my ISP has been having connectivity issues. If the internet goes down my computers still have 2 whole days of data to crunch on.

Papahyooie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Ok thats good. Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I was hoping there was some sort of "download now" button and a "crunch now" button, but i guess that would be too easy lol. It'd be convenient, cause I would like to be able to plug it in at home while getting ready for work, download new work, and then plug it in and watch it go while at work, but I suppose those ways arent much different, i'll just have to keep track of it and make sure I have work when I need it. Thanks all!

6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    WCG does not take a lot of bandwidth. It doesn't report done instantly (unless you specifically program it to, and you have to edit files to do that, there's nothing in the options for that) and the work units are't that big

Crunching for Team TPU