• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dragon Age Origins Thread

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.

I can't be the only one who wants a change in pace from the FPS genre this time around and Dragon Age Origins maybe a hit IMO. Dragon Age Origins is created by BioWare's Edmonton studio which will be released on November 3, 2009 for the PC and consoles. This is a single player, computer role playing game (CRPG) that appears to work best with a game pad (not sure yet). If you pre-order now you are suppose to get some sort of bonus at participating outlets.

Dragon Age Origins is said to be be a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series. So that should give some of you an idea of what this game is all about. This game will allow you to effect the outcome of the game based on the choices you make throughout it. You will be able to issue order to other NPC either in real time or by pausing the game. The game will allow you a rear person's view or an overhead view of the environment. This game will have 3 upgradeable classes to choose from: the rogue, the warrior, and the mage. The specialized classes are Berserker and Templar for the warrior, and Shapeshifter for the mage. The six character backgrounds are Human Noble, Human/Elf Mage, Dalish Elf, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner, and Dwarf Noble.

The plot of the game is vague but the gist of it is dark heroic fantasy storyline. Depending on who you character is you will start off in one of six Origin stories as a starting point. This game is said to not use Securom protection but instead some sort of disc checking system.

As for downloadable content this game is said to come with The Stone Prisoner and Warden’s Keep. However, you may want to keep an eye out for the moddable content. There maybe a large modding community once this game is released.

Below is a preview of in game play:
Gameplay video with the developer explaining the demo. It is par 1 of 3 parts to this video
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 (action protion of the game)
video 1
video 2

TOOLSET
  • Create New Adventures – Forge your own environments from your imagination, or use the rich set of Dragon Age locations and artwork as starting blocks to build new, original campaigns, quests, or cut-scenes.
  • Stage Massive Battles – Test your might in battle by fully customizing the combat and creature AI, allowing you to create detailed action sequences full of heart-pounding warfare.
  • Be the Director - Create your own stories with the powerful cinematics editor that offers full control of the camera, voice and lip syncing tools, and a full character creator.
  • Content Creator's Community – Join the BioWare Social Network where you can easily find tutorials, share content, chat with other creators, and get content updates for the tool
Source w/video

PATCH 1.01​

• [1]fixed potential corruption of character statistics
    [2]fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable Character Creator
    [3] fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator
    [4]made Easy difficulty easier
    [5] slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty
    [6]fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays

source

PATCH 1.01b​
Patch details:​
fixed potential corruption of character statistics
fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable

Character Creator​
  1. fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator
  2. made Easy difficulty easier
  3. slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty
  4. fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays
  5. fixed an issue with Vista and Windows 7 Game for Windows Explorer
  6. fixed an issue with Dragon Age and Windows Game Explorer
  7. updated Visual C runtime libraries
source

PATCH 1.02​
Balance​
  • [1]Daggers now apply 0.5 points of damage per additional point in dexterity and 0.5 points of damage per additional point in strength, as originally intended. This increases dagger damage for high-dexterity characters.
    [2]During combat, mana or stamina reserves now correctly regenerate more quickly when reserves are low. This allows players to occasionally use an talent or spell in the later stages of lengthy fights.
    [3]When exploring, mana and stamina now regenerate more quickly at higher character levels. This reduces downtime between fights.
    [4]The spells Force Field, Crushing Prison, Cone of Cold, and Blizzard now have shorter durations and/or longer cooldowns. This ensures that combatants can no longer stun-lock each other by repeatedly casting the same spell.
    [5]The cooldowns for several low-level sustained abilities are now shorter. This ensures that players are not penalized for accidentally deactivating them.
    [6]Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.
    [7]Enemy corpses now drop health poultices and money more appropriately, resulting in less clutter in the player's inventory.

Gameplay​
  1. In rare cases, enemy corpses were selectable when they contained no loot. This no longer occurs.
  2. Party members whose combat tactics were set to defensive behavior no longer stop attacking after using a spell or talent.
  3. In rare cases, combat tactics conditions could fail to determine whether a character had enough mana or stamina to use an ability. This no longer occurs.
  4. The Rally talent no longer repeats its audio effect if it is active during certain conversations.
  5. The Rally talent no longer deactivates upon area transitions or conversations.
  6. The Shimmering Shield spell now deactivates when the character is out of mana.

Plot *Spoiler Warning*​
  1. Promotional downloadable content items now remain in the player's inventory when standard items are removed at the end of the dwarf noble origin.
  2. Repeatedly talking to Duncan after gathering the vials in the Korcari Wilds but not the treaties no longer provides duplicate experience.
  3. Leliana's personal plot can now be completed if the player substantially increased her approval (through gifts) before talking to her.
  4. During the siege of Redcliffe, enemies are no longer able to spawn in locations that would break the plot.
  5. Bann Teagan no longer disappears when he is supposed to be accessible during Urn of Sacred Ashes.

PC Specific​
  1. Controlling a summoned creature (like a ranger's pets) during certain special area transitions no longer results in odd behavior.
  2. Creating a character in a custom module did not create a folder for saves. This could result in corruption of main campaign saves. This no longer occurs.
  3. In some cases, the class icon was set incorrectly for characters imported from the downloadable Character Creator. This no longer occurs.
  4. The options menu now includes a setting to automatically download previously purchased content that is not currently installed.
  5. After installing new downloadable content, the game now always reminds the user to restart the game.
  6. The icons for some promotional downloadable content items were missing. They now appear correctly.
  7. The screenshot upload GUI would stop working from time to time on the client. There was a memory override that was fixed. It is a client fix. It doesn't affect the other problems we have seen on the server.
Direct Link
source

PATCH 1.02a​
Patch details:
Many of the fixes affecting balance, gameplay, or plot scripting are already included in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 versions of Dragon Age: Origins.

You do not need to download patches prior to Patch 1.02a. Downloading Patch 1.02a contains all previous patches. Downloading Patch 1.02a will provide you with all patch data available.
Balance

1. Daggers now apply 0.5 points of damage per additional point in dexterity and 0.5 points of damage per additional point in strength, as originally intended. This increases dagger damage for high-dexterity characters.
  2. During combat, mana or stamina reserves now correctly regenerate more quickly when reserves are low. This allows players to occasionally use an talent or spell in the later stages of lengthy fights.
  3. When exploring, mana and stamina now regenerate more quickly at higher character levels. This reduces downtime between fights.
  4. The spells Force Field, Crushing Prison, Cone of Cold, and Blizzard now have shorter durations and/or longer cooldowns. This ensures that combatants can no longer stun-lock each other by repeatedly casting the same spell.
  5. The cooldowns for several low-level sustained abilities are now shorter. This ensures that players are not penalized for accidentally deactivating them.
  6. Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.
  7. Enemy corpses now drop health poultices and money more appropriately, resulting in less clutter in the player's inventory.

Gameplay

1. In rare cases, enemy corpses were selectable when they contained no loot. This no longer occurs.
  2. Party members whose combat tactics were set to defensive behavior no longer stop attacking after using a spell or talent.
  3. In rare cases, combat tactics conditions could fail to determine whether a character had enough mana or stamina to use an ability. This no longer occurs.
  4. The Rally talent no longer repeats its audio effect if it is active during certain conversations.
  5. The Rally talent no longer deactivates upon area transitions or conversations.
  6. The Shimmering Shield spell now deactivates when the character is out of mana.

Plot *Spoiler Warning*

1. Promotional downloadable content items now remain in the player's inventory when standard items are removed at the end of the dwarf noble origin.
  2. Repeatedly talking to Duncan after gathering the vials in the Korcari Wilds but not the treaties no longer provides duplicate experience.
  3. Leliana's personal plot can now be completed if the player substantially increased her approval (through gifts) before talking to her.
  4. During the siege of Redcliffe, enemies are no longer able to spawn in locations that would break the plot.
  5. Bann Teagan no longer disappears when he is supposed to be accessible during Urn of Sacred Ashes.

PC Specific

1. Controlling a summoned creature (like a ranger's pets) during certain special area transitions no longer results in odd behavior.
  2. Creating a character in a custom module did not create a folder for saves. This could result in corruption of main campaign saves. This no longer occurs.
  3. In some cases, the class icon was set incorrectly for characters imported from the downloadable Character Creator. This no longer occurs.
  4. The options menu now includes a setting to automatically download previously purchased content that is not currently installed.
  5. After installing new downloadable content, the game now always reminds the user to restart the game.
  6. The icons for some promotional downloadable content items were missing. They now appear correctly.
  7. The screenshot upload GUI would stop working from time to time on the client. There was a memory override that was fixed. It is a client fix. It doesn't affect the other problems we have seen on the server.

source

Map of Dragon Age: Origins

Last edited:
System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
I'm getting this game.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I pre-ordered the CE on the 18th.

olithereal

System Name Geometro
Processor i5 760 @ Stock (need 1156 brackets for my cooler)
Motherboard MSI P55A-G55
Cooling Kingwin RVT-12025 HDT
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte 1600 C9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX 275 MSI Twin Frozr OC
Display(s) Samsung 2333SW 23"
Case Lancool PC-K62
Power Supply Corsair VX550W 550W ATX 12V
Software Windows 7 64 bit / Arch Linux x64
I'm getting it as well. I have fate in BioWare!

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Odd that more are not interested in this game. It doesn't look/play bad at all to me.

System Name Corporate Commando
Processor Intel i7 3820 @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard Asrock x79 extreme 6gb
Cooling corsair h100
Memory 8 gig corsair 1866 ddr3 ram
Video Card(s) 3 x EVGA GTX 680
Storage 2x samsung F3 1tb drives in RAID 0, 512gb samsung ssd
Display(s) 3 x Asus 27" monitor @ 5760 x 1080
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Coolermaster 1200watt gold
Ill be getting it. I am thinking about pre-ordering but still waiting to see more footage. I played it for about 10 minutes a gencon indy. It was pretty sweet, however the version i had didnt have the "pause" mode and the ability to switch between your party members.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
The only thing I find strange is that the graphics are pretty bland. I mean Biowares last SP RPG Mass Effect is just about 2 years old and has what looks to be far better graphics than this game. Otherwise it does look good.

Cooling corsair h100
Case Corsair C70
really? I dont think so. When i played the game i thought they were pretty good. It was a beta version and the game had no dips in framerate or anything like that. The 360 version did however.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I think it looks good, even if it feels it's targeted at 15 year old boys. Sex and violence = mature, right?

Gjohnst4

System Name Girlfriend Likes My Spedo
Processor Phenom II 965 3.6 ghz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Edition {5x Turbine 120mm, 2x Windtunnel 140mm, 1x 230mm Speedo Side fan}
Memory OCZ DDR3 1600 8GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 1GB Crossfire
Storage 2x 640 gb 7200 rpm 32mb cache raid 0, Seagate Momentum X Hybrid 500gb boot drive
Display(s) YAMASAKI 27" IPS
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advance
Audio Device(s) Creative Fatal1ty Platinum> Musiland Monitor 02> Little Dot MKIII> Audeze LCD-2
Power Supply Antec Quattro 850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark 06: 21,989
Pre-ordered. I want something to keep me busy till starcraft 2, this and torchlight will do

all that oblivion feel and bioware developed it so it cant be that bad
if the graphics are better than mass effect thats decent

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
It reminds me of WOW and i hate WOW.

I may get it tho.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
all that oblivion feel and bioware developed it so it cant be that bad

Awww, you could turn off a pornstar with that talk. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
really? I dont think so. When i played the game i thought they were pretty good. It was a beta version and the game had no dips in framerate or anything like that. The 360 version did however.

Have you played Mass Effect, you can literally see the texture on your characters skin, this maybe looks as good as Oblivion from what I have seen. Maybe it will look better to me when I can actually play it?

I think it looks good, even if it feels it's targeted at 15 year old boys. Sex and violence = mature, right?

How is that targeted at 15 year old boys? Almost any game for PC has violence in it, and sex is a part of everyday life, now if you start giggling like a giddy schoolgirl when you see it, that might say your not a mature person.

It reminds me of WOW and i hate WOW.

I may get it tho.

If there was no WoW there would be no FPS Doug, then who would you have as your avatar? Boom Headshot? :nutkick:

It's not even an MMO, if you mean its a fantasy game, thats really stretching for it, you must hate Oblivion and Diablo then also?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
How is that targeted at 15 year old boys? Almost any game for PC has violence in it, and sex is a part of everyday life, now if you start giggling like a giddy schoolgirl when you see it, that might say your not a mature person.

I don't know, I just get a slight The Witcher-feel when I see the trailers. It's darkness, it's evil, it's blood and gore and you're part of an elite group protecting the lands from an overwhelming evil force and I'm just sick of it and oh there's boobies. I actually think the game will be pretty good, but I still think all those things are for 15 year old boys. I want a game about philosphy combined with monster spanking that makes you wonder what life's all about and how everything reacts to everything and your attitudes towards it.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
If there was no WoW there would be no FPS Doug, then who would you have as your avatar? Boom Headshot? :nutkick:

It's not even an MMO, if you mean its a fantasy game, thats really stretching for it, you must hate Oblivion and Diablo then also?

:laugh: FPS Doug isn't much of a wow player, more COD4 and CSS.

I am just not a big fan of the whole leveling up and having to walk through the entire world to do/find crap. I might pick it up just for the hell of it, but its definitely not one of my most anticipated games.

Cooling corsair h100
Case Corsair C70
Have you played Mass Effect, you can literally see the texture on your characters skin, this maybe looks as good as Oblivion from what I have seen. Maybe it will look better to me when I can actually play it?
QUOTE]

Oh yea dude I bought mass effect twice once for 360 and once for pc. I am thinking that they are two totally different types of games geared toward a specific type of look. I agree with you that the facial textures look a lot better on mass effect. However, I think the other textures (character body, enviroment, etc.) Look very good. I also think the spells, fire, etc look even better.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
:laugh: FPS Doug isn't much of a wow player, more COD4 and CSS.

I am just not a big fan of the whole leveling up and having to walk through the entire world to do/find crap. I might pick it up just for the hell of it, but its definitely not one of my most anticipated games.

Right, but he's not a main character on the show, I seriously cant stand watching that show, just way too over the top. Either way, without WoW it wouldn't have been made and he wouldn't be in existence.

If you dont like leveling you won't like RPG's, thats what they are all about, you are FPS Doug :p Stick to those, heck even those have levels now.

Cooling corsair h100
Case Corsair C70
Yea not to mention this is more like a strategy rpg than a realtime rpg.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
How so? I was trying to find out exactly how it played, I have watched the trailers, but not much else.

Cooling corsair h100
Case Corsair C70
Like you have full control over your entire party. So that you use strategy in a sense when pausing the game to determine each of your characters moves. They will do their own moves but it gives you greater control over what each of your party characters do. Just like a strategy game.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Like you have full control over your entire party. So that you use strategy in a sense when pausing the game to determine each of your characters moves. They will do their own moves but it gives you greater control over what each of your party characters do. Just like a strategy game.

That's been the case since ... forever. Baldurs Gate and Kotor was like that too.

If you watch the gameplay it shows that they do things on their own though.

System Name CRIMSON TYPHOON
Processor Corei5 6600k Skylake @4.2ghz (COOLED BY A COOLERMASTER HYPER 212)
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI
Memory 2x8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RED LED DDR4 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) ASUS 1060 OC6GB @1950mhz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB Cache
Display(s) LG 24'
Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER
Audio Device(s) OnBoard Realtek HD
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-650M
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Corsair K-70 (Cherry MX Red Switches)
Software Windows 10 x64 Ultimate Edition
I don't know, I just get a slight The Witcher-feel when I see the trailers. It's darkness, it's evil, it's blood and gore and you're part of an elite group protecting the lands from an overwhelming evil force and I'm just sick of it and oh there's boobies. I actually think the game will be pretty good, but I still think all those things are for 15 year old boys. I want a game about philosphy combined with monster spanking that makes you wonder what life's all about and how everything reacts to everything and your attitudes towards it.

He is my new god