1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drakensang: River of Time

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZenZimZaliben, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    If you liked the older ones this one is seriously good. Big upgrade in graphics, Combat system is smooth. The game isn't well known in America as it is based of a pen/paper game in Germany. However it shares a lot of similarities to DND and many other RPGs. I have been a fan of this series.

IF you liked NeverWinter, Baulders Gate, and other games of this genre then you will probably really like this game.

It's a pretty new release, but since the American market is small for it the publisher didn't expect big things for it, as such the game is only $20 and totally worth it IMO.

Party Based, Pause at anytime to setup strategy. Lots of side quests. Good story line. A lot of game reviews out there gave it a good review. Lack of publisher advertising though mean you probably never heard of it.

http://www.drakensang.com/newsarchiv.php?lang=en&page=2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...m=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=656

This game is holding me over for Dungeon Siege 3 and so far it has been a great game.

2. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    looks alright but i wouldnt get it :p but thats just me

3. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    I played the first one and it was a great game imo! You defenitly have to put some strategy into combat against the enemies other wise you just get hooked up! I will have to check this out! :toast:

4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of it but it looks pretty damn good. I'll look into this more tonight and maybe pick it up. Thanks for the heads up dude!

5. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I remember I saw something about this once.... looked interesting, I think I'll try the demo.

6. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's a cool game. Magic is odd is this game. Mostly used for buffs/defense and some offense. Casting times make some spells useless in combat. Like Fireball great opening spell but once you get mobbed it takes like 6-8 actions to cast and splash hurts your party. Plus you can get interrupted during casting.

My hero is a custom combat mage. I didn't take the starting abilities. Instead get AE Regeneration ( AE is astral energy aka mana). Much more important than a lousy 4 extra AE points.

You can really customize your character once you start playing. Nothing is really off limits except for Armor. IF you are a caster of any type you can not wear metal armor. But to make up for that almost every cast has a armor buff and on top of good leather, crab shell, other types of armor you can have a really good defense.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  7. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I played the first one as a soldier. Very good game. Good character sheet and numbers. Battles are rewarding and is true roll to hit (which is quite rare nowadays).

8. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I liked it, although some of the quests were a bit of a grind.

Overall, a decent game.

9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    yeah.. if they polished the quests aside from 'go here kill this', it would be quite interesting. But in terms of its technical side like its intricate character development and sheet numbers, this game eats dragonage2.

10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    that's alactually always been my style in NWN with a soerceror, I always have him combat oriented with a few usefule buff spells and a decent "first shot" spell to bring down their health. Sounds like I'd really like this game and I always liek when publishers price their games below the dreader 50-60$ launch price we get these days.

11. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    For $20 it is totally worth it. They have just released an expansion/dlc, which I'm going to get although after Dungeon Siege III, and is only $9 right now on steam

Just hit Lvl11 and killed my first dragon. Was a good fight/great loot. Everyone but my main character died, haha, and he only had 10 hit points left.

12. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I've put about 5 hours into this game so far and I must say it's refreshing. I'm running around with a Amazon warrior.

Combat is actually challenging. Quite a game so far!

13. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Awesome thanks for the heads up, Looks like a game I would like :)

14. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    That's a great class. I have found so much gear for Female Warriors. Spears/Sabers/Armor. None of which I can use... In fact I think one of the best weapons in the game is a Two Handed Saber that only female amazons can use to unlock all abilities. Does 3d6+str bonus, plus raises 3 stats by +1. You will find it soon as it is a very early quest.

15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Sweet!

Here are some early sceenies from my first night playing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZenZimZaliben says thanks.
  16. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Just finished the main quest line on Saturday. Watched the credits and all that then it gives you the option of continuing. Which was cool because I had a couple side quests I wanted to finish. Game took me a solid 60 hours to play. Ended at lvl 11. Good game, good ending.

17. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Wow 60 hours and at L11. Thats crazy compared to most games these days where you would have been somewhere above L30.

I'm not sure how many hours in I am something like 15 or so and I'm L5.

I like this game so much I picked up the first one; Drakensang: The Dark Eye. I'm looking forward to playing it and from what I've read it's even longer.

18. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it is a weird game for lvls. Since you can spend points at any time lvls don't mean as much. I felt about as powerful as a 18th lvl mage in DND based games.

19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    yeah leveling just raises the skill/spell etc caps and allows you to train higher.

I'm currently playing both River of Time and The Dark Eye. I have 20 hours in RoT and 4-5 hours into TDE and though they are close to the same game each one is a little different for better or worse. Visually RoT is nicer and adds a lot to the game play but I have to admit that TDE is really good and it might be too early to say but I enjoy it more. RoT is more challenging though with much harder battles.

In TDE I have a L2 Battle-Mage and I absolutely love playing this char. As long as I have a good fighter in the group I do very well.

Last night I bought the DLC for RoT. I don't know how I missed these titles but thanks for posting this here. I'm totally in love with these adventures.

ZenZimZaliben says thanks.
  20. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Let me know what you think of the DLC. I am wanting to get it but not sure if it's worth the $10. It probably is but let me know cause you seem to have enjoyed the game as much as I did.

21. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I will let you know. I haven't installed it yet because I figured I'd play through the game first. But maybe I'll install it this weekend.

22. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember playing the demo. Which if im not mistaken was timed. But i remember having a good time. RPG's is not something i play much of any more though. Not straigh up RPG's anyway.