1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DRAM Prices to Rebound

Discussion in 'News' started by TheMailMan78, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Guess I better order that Corsair kit I've had my eyes on.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    RAM cost in your country is not the DRAM makers fault. Thats your governments fault. Your rage is misplaced. So lets look it from their perspective (DRAM maker). Lets say you keep making tons of ram in abundance. You over saturate the market with a massive overhead. After all making the RAM costs money. What happens? Investors lose incentive to invest into your company because your profit margin is so low. How do you keep RAM without investment? Never mind funding R&D.

Next up since supply is so high demand become low. You don't need to make as much and don't need the workers in the factory due to industry saturation. See where this is going? Balance has to be made. That’s what Chen is doing. The last thing you want is the DRAM industry to turn in to a "Dollar Store" industry. Its bad for everyone.
  3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    The scale of prices is the same in your country.

No I'm angry at the one person who has set up this price hike. You think it's coincidence that it's happened straight after the HDD hike? Not a chance!!!

You don't make the customer pay for your mstake.

The balance was fine until someone forced it out of balance. Again, the customer should not be forced to pay for a company's mistake. Show me a RAM manufacturer that didn't make a healthy profit this year.
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    He’s hiking prices so the company wont make a mistake by keeping the prices to low. As for the prices in my country last time I looked £20 is a lot higher then $20. Anyway its a luxury product. No one NEEDS DRAM. If your customers cant afford £50 DRAM then maybe they shouldnt be buying a computer?
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I don't see keeping the prices low as a mistake. If there's not enough demand and too much supply then you've got to do something, but to create a demand and jack up prices?

That's why I said scale of prices, in bold lol on your side of the pond, the faster, lower latency RAM is more expensive than 1333MHz C9 XMS3 for example, as it is here. I'm not saying it's too expensive, I'm saying customers get it because it's the cheapest.

Sorry man, I don't understand where you're coming from with this as I never said anything like that, but I'll try.
    I do a whole PC for £50 (intended for internet usage- no monitor or peripherals) with second hand parts but most of the time a RAM upgrade is wanted for Windows 7. Also, my other half's Mum's mrs. (true story) is always getting me to get PC parts off the net for her for rigs she's bought from ad's in the paper or w/e. The most common part I'm buying is RAM which is where the hike comes in. Rest assured it's going to hit the low-end market massively, maybe even mostly. This soon after HDD's is just like another kick in the nuts to people who are on a budget.
  6. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Just what I needed - higher RAM prices to go with the higher hard drive prices.... :nutkick:
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Intel apparently not gouging on latest tech due to no real competition is looking even more fortunate for the consumer now.