1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driver Problems

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kalstrand, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kalstrand

Thanks Received:
    I work for an engineered truss manufacturer and our primary saw is servo controlled. The PC running it has a touch screen which had had broken LCDs since before I started to in addition to the touch they had a PS/2 mouse. Today they tell me the mouse isn't working so in the process of trouble shooting we decide it must be the port because we tried a mouse that worked on another machine.

The machine runs Win98 so it did not have generic windows drivers for a USB mouse installed and it has no CDROM so when it wanted a Win98 cd even if I had one I would not be able to insert it. I found a generic USB mouse driver and tried to install it. The USB mouse never did work and in the process I managed to kill the touch control.

The touch control falls under a Universal Pointer Display Driver by touch-base. In the device manager it says the device is disable and that it can't start the driver. I went to the driver location according to windows and it is there it just won't start it.

I uninstalled the mouse driver but that didn't allow the UPDD to take over.

Does anybody have any ideas that might help? Anything windows might have done in the registry that didn't get changed that might fix the problem? If that fails does anybody have a copy of the UPDD v3.x that will work on Win98 so I can try reinstalling the drivers? I have emailed Touch-base about getting the driver but it hasn't really been long enough for a response yet. I thought if anybody here could help we might could get the saw back in operation sooner.

Thanks