1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driver: San Francisco

Discussion in 'Games' started by burtram, Jul 28, 2011.

1. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    Huge fan of the previous Driver games, but Ubisoft is at it again with the PC gamer folk, and their requirement of a constant internet connection, in order to play the game. Now this sucks for me, because with Time Warner here in California, my net drops 3-4 times a day... Guess if I really want the game, I'll grab it on the PS3, or I may just pass it up all together...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...quires_Constant_Internet_Connection_On_PC.php
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised they're still kicking that old can. Driver and Driver 2 were pretty popular because there wasn't a game quite like it at the time. DRIV3R was, by all accounts, a failure. Parrallel Lines was pretty good but didn't meet with much market success.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see another in the series. I'm just surprised by it.

And yeah, Ubisoft's DRM can go to hell.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    Ironically, the only Driver game I never played was DRIV3R. I own Driver 1 and 2, and had at one point owned Parallel Lines and was really looking forward to this new one ever since I first heard about it. Now, I am "on the fence" with the new one. I think I may just wait until it's in the bargain bin, or in a really good steam sale.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I think it looks like it's going to be pretty good. Nice to see a sandbox game with real cars licensed. It means they will actually be forced to put some time in to make the driving physics half way decent. The graphics look very good, looks like the alleys are packed with garbage to run through, lets just hope the rest of the game can pull it off. The next 3 months are packed with some amazing games, so it's going to be some stiff competition.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing it's going to be good. It is Ubisoft's way of competing with Rockstar's GTA. I'm sure that's the only reason why they bought the property too.

I mean, Parallel Lines was pretty good considering it was developed relatively fast. The fixed a lot of the issues in the original and from a direction point of view, it is interesting (seeing the city from a 20 year shift in perspective and some of the missions really stand out in my memory for some reason).

If Ubisoft put the effort into it to really make it compete with GTA, I have no doubt that they could. The fact that they implemented Ubisoft's best (and most expensive) DRM into it suggests that they invested a lot into the title.

Let's just say I'm "cautiously optimistic" that they have a blockbuster.

I hope they don't. Realistic vehicle physics sucked a lot of fun out of GTA IV. It's a game, comical, but predictable physics are the best.

Driver has had lots of garbage since the original title. The game was clearly inspired by all the Hollywood car chases. They could have removed it, but why? XD

Eh? Except Tropico 4 coming out August 30, most the good games aren't coming out until November/December. Novemeber/December launches often turn into March next year though. XD
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Constant internet connection? I'll mark this game as one to avoid. :nutkick:

The sad thing is that of course they haven't 'learned': suckers gamers are still buying this game. They need to vote with their wallets and boycott it like I do.

Here's Fudzilla's take on it:

Fudzilla
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It's funny you say that, because my response was about GTA IV, realistic, that makes me giggle. Driving at top speed in that game you barely go faster than traffic, your car never really exhibits understeer or over steer (you either come into the corner too fast or too slow, you can't whip out the back end and try to correct it as the ebrake is horrible). Not sure if Driver will have bikes, but GTA's physics for them is completely bonked.

Also, I'm not sure why you mention only Tropico 4. Now I'm not saying all these games will be great, but many of them have the chance to be great sellers.
    Dead Islands (5 weeks Away), Dues Ex (3 Weeks Away), Call of Jaurez: The Cartel (5 Weeks), RAGE (9 Weeks), Batman: Arkham City (10 Weeks), Battlefield 3 (3 Months) as well as Serious Sam BFE, Trine 2, L.A. Noire, and Saints Row scheduled for Q3 2011. Plus Driver on top of those and Tropico 4, then right after that 3 months is Skyrim.
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The original one was sweet but the ones after it totally sucked.

Will not pre order it that's for sure but i surly have my eye on it as i hope it it be as good as the 1st one.

UBI like doing what they please like with Splinter Cell Conviction in blocking user made maps. Lets face it UBI know how to make a well wanted game but cripple it in one way or another as they do not want to make games like Ghost Recon as there is less money in it for them.

I don't think realistic physics spoil GTA but what did is they did not spend enough time with other aspects of the game. Lack of depth of missions and that stupid phone ringing all the time did.

Deus Ex next month :p or was it changed ?.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    every decision with every Dev/licensing company out there now has been solely made to make the most money now, its a cooperate money scavenging world out there now.

Every game, ect, is made and penalized because of money, or investers dont want to work on titles because it wont make as much money.

It starting to making everything on the PC atleast a real shitter in quality. I miss actually getting worked up for games. All I hear now is a big ass negative, or topic that discussed about the game that almost ruins it.

It might not ever change, unless other things change. If anything its ganna get worse.
  10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I honestly could careless about what others think of a game. If I enjoy the game, I enjoy the game, despite it's ratings or other beliefs. I do like discussing games, but in the end, most likely a discussion isn't going to sway me into thinking a game I like is no longer fun to me. Or say it has some horrible feature people boycott, like having to be online. That honestly doesn't bother me at all, so I have no reason to care or boycott it.
  11. Lebowski

Lebowski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Played the original to death on the Playstation and had alot of fun with it. Tried the next one and it was a major step down imo and didn't try any others after that.

Looking forward to San Fransisco though. Very glad they decided on having a cockpit view it really adds another degree of immersion to any driving game.

I yearn for an open world driving game with GT Legends style physics and decent graphics. I doubt it will be like that but as long as it isn't too arcadey I won't mind.