1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driver: San Francisco

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sonicboom, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sonicboom Guest

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's a good thing they don't know how rampant piracy is on consoles (modded and emulated). I'm not sure those nervous wrecks could bare to know. Still, at least Ubisoft finally wisened up...a little bit.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    you know as bad is piracy is i wonder what would happen if Indie devs that use next to no DRM stood up and posted there actual revenue for sales, vs cost of DRM licensing,

if i remember correctly Stardock mentioned piracy was high on there titles but it didnt reflect actual sales and that the cost of DRM would have eaten into profits not helped.

all DRM is is a way to throw money at a problem to make investors who have no idea how society works feel better, either nice to see but i dont care i dont buy ubisoft titles anymore, there games no matter how good arent worth the money to me from how they've treated customers in the past.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So true,when arma 1 came out the protection cost over 1/2 the price of the game from some of those who helped publish it.
  5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    So far, I'm really liking the game. From what I can recall, it picks up where DRIV3R left off (Jericho). They went back to the heart of the series and focused on driving. They've also added this new feature which is really interesting and I've never seen in a game before. They call it "shift." It basically allows you to possess the driver of most vehicles in order to complete your objectives (or just upgrade your car on the fly).

There is no gun play as far as I can tell and you never have control of an individual on foot--just cars. In that regard, it is not the same as Driver 2 through Driver: Parrellel Lines.

Right now, I'm thinking its the best racing/driving game I played in a long time. It is what Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit/Undercover should be.

The game does seem to support the ability to play offline so it might not have draconian of DRM as was originally planned. Don't quote me on that though (its difficult to tell for certain).

It is more like the original Driver than Driver: Parrellel Lines or Grand Theft Auto.
    1Kurgan1 and AsRock say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Cool, as the rest pretty much sucked. Driver 1 was totally cool and though it might of court up with GTA by now so would you say it has on the driving aspect ?.

Parallel Lines was a load of crap so was driv3r.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, no on foot, I wouldn't have thought it would return to that, but it might actually be a nice change from GTA. As long as the driving is great that is. I might have to pick it up, been keeping my eye on it.
  8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason to do anything on foot when you can "shift." Why jack a car when you can simply possess the driver? XD

There's a lot of variety in the challenges too like having to jump over another car or drive 130+ MPH sustained for 20 seconds (more difficult than it sounds due to traffic).

The driving feels right. It is no doubt mostly arcade physics but the cars behave how you expect them to behave. There's also tons of variety of vehicles from dune buggies to 18-wheelers (with or without trailers, of course).

There's also challenges in there where you replay vehicle stunts from 1970s film like crossing the bridge with Elenor from Gone in 60 Seconds. Of course, all the vehicles in these 1970s challenges are from the 1970s (Trans Ams, Mustang fastbacks, beetles, Olds Cutlass, etc.).

What makes it really interesting is that virtually any car on the road (and there's usually lots of them) can be made into a weapon.

The story is so-so and doesn't look to be very long but I'm only to chapter 4 so I'm not sure.

In short, the game went back to its roots and added a sci-fi twist to make it better. This is good because Driver was never meant to be GTA just as GTA was never meant to be Driver.

On the down side, the music is blah and I really don't see much replay value.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    sounds like your playing driver with fear3's paxton fettal....
  10. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    i was planing to download it ..but when i saw its game play at youtube .. i said no ..
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Same here just watched a few video's of it and holly crap that's nothing like the 1st one.
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    If you never shift, it is. I finished the game and can confirm you never control anything that doesn't involve a car. I can also say the story is unique and good. It's kind of got some Max Payne battle-with-himself flair to it.

Some of the "dares" later on in the game are difficult (e.g. drift 200m, land a barrel roll, 170+ MPH for 30 seconds, jump over 3 vehicles in 45 seconds, etc.).

Credits are obscenely long and you can continue to play after they scroll.

Overall, I'd give a 4/5 (lost one for little replay value) and would value it's worth for single player content alone at $30. The game has multiplayer which I haven't played but it could substantially increase the value.

The fact you can leave your car and the AI will drive it competently is a neat thing to see.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Just played some, I like it. I am glad they didn't go GTA clone again, like like the real cars, I like the driving physics. The missions were fun, the voice actor is lacking a bit of skill to fill the role, but the role is a bit hard to believe, so that doesn't help.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it is off-the-wall but that's what makes it unique. :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I love this game. It is so fun. I find myself just driving around and having fun.