1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drobo...or other NAS

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Vagike, May 30, 2010.

1. Vagike New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking for an external storage solution to my HTPC that I can expand on the fly, or as needed.

My HTPC is an E6850, 4GB of ddr2-800 with 2 dual tuners, and with the plans to upgrade from Vista to windows 7 to be able to record 4 channels as once.

The HTPC is also my BitTorrent, music and video server to a couple Xboxes, laptop, and other machines in the house; which runs on a gigabit network and wireless N.

My debate is speed, and simulataneous access.

I have delt with RAIDs before and like the access advantages you get from usings a RAID setup. But the down side is expandablilty with RAIDs.

The HTPC case does not exactly have the space for a large RAID setup.

Though Drobo system are considered by most as premium unit, I don't like to waste too much time with custom setups, such as FreeNAS.

I'm looking a for any worldly expriences with drobo products, to gain me some insight to properly make a choice.

some things I have read with the 2nd gen 4bay Drobo is there can be issues with compatibility with Firewire 400/800, whether its software or hardware i have never been able to figure out.

Then, I'm caught between the Drobo S, and recently released, Drobo FS. Since I have a the HTPC running all the time acting as a file server, is it even beneficial to look at the Drobo FS?

Also on a side note, if there are other products that I should check out please let me know.

Thank you all for you time.