1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DroidX HD .3GP video... what Trusted Codec?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    See title... have videos in .3GP format 720p from a Droid X ...

Looking to view and edit. Willing to pay for a good editing/conversion package (on the cheap).

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I use Oxelon to convert the movies to avi's then use the standard editting programs from there. Oxelon is free, it will do resizing. It is great if you just want to convert the files to avi and maybe resize it.

If you want basic editting Microsoft Live Movie Maker is decent enough, also free.

Movie Maker will actually open up the 3gp files natively, but if you are just going to be converting the movies Oxelon is faster. You can just use Movie Maker to export the movie in avi format also if you are doing editting on it.

Edit: Just notices you were on XP, so 3gp probably isn't natively supported. So, just use Oxelon to convert it to an avi, that should let you view and edit it in whatever you normally use. You will have to tell it to use the Xvid codec or one of the other more standard codecs(possible mpeg1) in the conversion or the older version of Movie Maker that works with XP might not work with the file. I'm not quite sure what codecs the XP version of Movie Maker supports.

Edit2: I did some testing with the Movie Maker that works with XP, and it doesn't natively support many formats. However, if you have the Xvid codec installed already, it will work with Xvid movies. So you can convert the videos using Oxelon to Xvid and they will work provided you have the xvid codec install on your system. Otherwise you can use the Mpeg1 option and it will natively work with XP and Movie Maker since XP comes with an Mpeg decoder.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Tried Oxelon, and aside from the watermark, the resulting .AVI video quality was terrible, even though the original format setting was on for the output.

Ironically, Youtube's conversion gave a better result than Oxelon. I only wanted to preview the vids before uploading.

I may just drop $30 or so on a commercial editing application - seems there are a few out there in that range that are decent.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Watermark? Oxelon doesn't add a watermark.

And as for the quality, make sure you adjust the bitrate, otherwise the quality will be shit. It defaults to an insanely low bitrate by default for some reason.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It did for me... though I didn't register it.

I'll give it another whirl tonight.