1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DSL router recommendations please

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by jasper1605, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

I just switched to AT&T DSl internet as it was a third the cost for the same speed (6mbs dl) but I have realized that I am not equipped with a DSL modem. I want nothing to do with wireless, I just need a simple DSL connection(not sure what to call it again lol) and was wondering what you would recommend?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    I'm a bit confused...do you need a DSL Modem(which AT&T should have provided) or a network router to provide internet to more than 1 compute rin your household and/or create a network? If you just need a router, refer to this thread. If you need a modem, you probably need to call AT&T, as most high-speed internet companys provide modems to their customers.

3. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Sorry on the confusion. It's a modem I'm looking for. And AT&T wants $100 bucks for their version of it so I refuse to pay that. I'm getting very confused on ADSL and ADSL2+ Are there modems that can't handle the latter of the two?

4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    jasper1605 says thanks.
  5. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    Frankly dude I would just pay the $100 fee for their modem. They know the technologies they use, the theoretical max download/upload using that technology, and match the modems they use to that.
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable about DSL and AT&T than I am can put in a second opinion, but if it were me, I'd just get their modem.

6. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to grab a $15 dollar one off of ebay and see how it works. Hopefully it will fire up nicely and then I can save $85 :)

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised they didn't give you a free modem, they almost always do when you sign up for the service. Usually they bill you for it, then give you a credit to off-set the cost.

I get them to give me free replacements for broken ones all the time too.

Here is what you do to get a free modem out of them:

1.) Call up their tech support line.
    2.) Tell them you want to cancel your service. When asked why tell them you don't have a modem so you can't use the service. They will transfer you to the "cancellation" department. The trick you need to know here is that it is this persons job to save your account no matter what.
    3.) 9 times out of 10 they will see the info from the previous person you talked to and say "I see you want to cancel because you don't have a modem. If I send you a modem will you stay with our service?" You say yes and they send you a free modem. If the person doesn't have your info, explain it to them, and they will send you a free modem. Usually overnight.

When I had DSL the modem died about once a year(those 2 wires are pieces of shit), and I never once paid for a modem even when they said I should, I just threatened to cancel and they always sent me a free one.

jasper1605 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    That might work, but I'm signed in a 12 mo. contract w/ them. The switch is still saving me about 200 bucks so I think it's worth it, but I'm not feeling that they'll be so kind cause if I "cancel" my service I'll still owe them for the 12 months lol.

9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Nah, contracts only valid if you can actually use the service. If they don't provide the equipment to use the service, then they can't enforce the contract, and they know that. They just try to get the $100 if they can.:toast:

10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    dont bother, newtekie has the right idea like always :toast:

11. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    I need a new one because mine crashes while attempting to plat BF BC2 MP. Someone recommend a 'gaming' or heavy duty' modem

@OP im not trying to thread jack, but you had the thread open and its recent so I wouldnt feel right adding another thread for no reason. :p

12. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    not a problem munki. More advice from the powers that be is always better :)

13. Flak

Thanks Received:
    I'm confuseled by this. Even checking their website, modem only is $99 + $99 credit making the modem free. Or pay $99 for the wireless router/dsl combo device. You should just call them and have them send you one as newtekie says.

14. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I was just going buy what the lady on the phone told me. I'll give them a call and update with the status on it. Thanks for looking into it guys :)

15. Flak

Thanks Received:
    So the website blurb I saw is wrong, here it is direct from their new TERMS... just a sloppy cut and paste:

"Available to new customers purchasing AT&T High Speed Internet Pro or Elite and a modem or wireless gateway. Rebate is $75 for modem or $100 for gateway."

I don't see mention how much the actual modem or gateway is, I'm guessing the rebate makes them free.

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You don't need a gaming or heavy duty anything.

I had a crappy Speedstream for years and it never had a problem with online gaming. The router is probably more important, and if you using one of those modem/router combos it can cause issue. I always get a seperate modem and router.

17. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    lol, unfortunately I'm noticing that all of those deals are if I set them up online. Of which I have not. Out of curiosity I tried setting it up online and it told me that they don't offer it in my area. Apparently when you talk to people their network will expand lol. Silly AT&T. I'm not too worried about it though, $10-$15 bucks for a modem is worth not having to continually call and argue and threaten to cancel then kiss and make up.