1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DSL vs CABLE

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by amd64skater, May 30, 2006.

1. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    im moving from college to flordia soon jacksonville in a apartment to be exact and i havent decided what to get 6 mbs cable or the fastest dsl u can get i have had dsl before which was 1.5 down and 512k up dsl but for the past few years i have had a steady t3 connection and i am trying to save the most money for what i can can get i need everyones help and opinion to help me decide on which service i should get so please help me out let me know the pros and cons of getting either service i should get i plan on using it for gaming ,downloading and i will have 2 computers possibly 3 and i want to get vonage and i will have my xbox hooked up and yes i have a syslink router also so no network advise please anyone who can help me please respond to this thread and thank you
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    being you have alot of connections i would aim more for the cable service also verizon has a new fios service that is the same price as cable and much faster thats if its available in your area dsl sucks for xbox tho unless ur using a 360 but if you dont plan on doing alot of bandwith intensive things like bitcomet and such a dsl connection might save you some cash as far as dsl and voip go's i have no idea how well that will work
  3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    DSL all the way. Direct connection to office, reasonably fast connection, awesome upload speeds make for lag-free game servers, all for ~$30 a month. Cable you share one connection with all your nieghbors so it's not reliable, the connection is insanely fast download and really slow upload, your upload speeds will give people who connect to your servers alot of lag, and it costs no less then $50 a month, and usually costs $60+. I'm glad I have DSL.
  4. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cable = digital
    DSL = analog
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    both are analog in a way because they utilize a certain frequency band on the physical medium.

both are digital in a way that the data transmitted is digital.
  6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    same with dsl, except that all dsl users in an exchange share one bandwidth pool. happened to me that my local exchange was a few hundred mbits too small in peak times :)
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    so like i said get a fiber connection verizon and other companys have them now for about the price of cable and it is 10x beter than dsl and cable
  8. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always see this question and I can pretty much break it down for ya.

DSL is a great option, but this option is only good if you live close to one of their DSL stations. If you live far away from one, it could be worse than dial up. The reason for this is b/c the if you live far away from a DSL Station then the signal has to make extra hops to get to you (which makes it lose power). So if you live close to a DSL station (the best way to figure this out is with people who have DSL round you), then def. go for it since it will be either equal or better than Cable.

Cable is another great option. With Cable, the distance between you and the station does not matter. But what does matter are the amount of people that are on it at once. Cable can only support a certain amount of users and give them IPs. If there are no IPs available then it will not let you connect (Sound familiar to some Optmium Online users). So if your computer is not on the internet and you want to connect at peak hours (usually prime time), then sometimes you might not be able to get on, but as long as your router or computer is always connected you wont have that problem.

So it really depends b/c in some places one is better than the other.

Sorry if some spots I didnt make sense...Its early in the morning, just let me know and I can clarify
  9. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you find out the contention ratio that tells you how many people you could potentially be sharing your connection with. In the UK the standard contention ratio for home users on ADSL is 50:1 and for businesses (more costly) it is 20:1.
  10. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    i think thats a pretty well guarded secret among telcos. i called my dsl provider numerous times and told them they are overloaded. in most cases it would just be denial, sometimes "i will look into it" and only once i got a knowledgable person who did check into it and saw that the bandwidth usage was high. neither of them would tell me how much bw/customer they have in their exchange
  11. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I think I payed a little too much attention to the DSL propoganda while shopping for fast internet :laugh:. I suppose one BIG DSL pool is better then a bunch of tiny cable pools. I think I'm lucky, cable company advertises alot so everyone is suckered into buying cable internet...and then they wonder why their internet is so slow :p.
  12. jjnissanpatfan

jjnissanpatfan

Thanks Received:
    I had dsl yesterday now i have cable and i live way out in the woods.
    DSL speed test 800dl 120 up on its best day.
    cable same test 5megdl 1meg up.
    Then in town they have adasl and connects up 24meg. So i guess look in to the speeds localy then decide what suites you best!!
  13. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    DSL (sbc mind you) is enough to play games with ok ping, about 100, but the download speed is about 40 kb/s, give or take 2. Pretty crappy!
  14. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Surely the speed will depend upon which package you chose?
  15. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention how far away you live from the box office.
  16. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    We have THE BEST! Believe me, it sucks bad.
  17. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    thanks to everyone

thanks everyone for giving ur input when i get down there ill try the trial and error approch im going to start off with cable of course then if it doesnt work out then ill try dsl but thank you to everyone who replyed to my post
  18. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Try DSL first. It's ALOT cheaper, and you seriously won't miss the speed unless you get unlucky and have sucky DSL service, buy a bad package, or 10 people are trying to access the internet at once in your house. If either of those are true, see your local cable internet dealer ;).
  19. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive had awesome luck with cable myself. im on comcast which claims 3mbit/384kbit service for my package yet most time i average 4/512 and during off peak i get around 5/768. i can download on bittorrant, have multiple connections on aim, and be playing css and i still have better ping then my friends on dsl..

i highly reccomend cable as long as u get a decent package
  20. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Making the move to DSL here soon also

I am JUST about to "make-the-leap/take-the-plunge" to Verizon DSL here, going from TimeWarner RoadRunner Cable internet service.

My promo deal of $29.95 U.S. Dollars per-month has expired finally, & it's back up to $47 U.S. Dollars per-month again: NO way!

(Heck - by way of financial comparison? I can nab Verizon DSL for $14.95 per-month & w/ it being 1/3rd of the cost of TWRR? I can live with a bit of a speed-cut for that price!)

:)

* Never have tried DSL before, but it's in the works here imo, very soon!

APK

P.S.=> Kept an eye on this thread, wanted to see some feedback from folks that've used both & looks pretty good to me! apk
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  21. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    T-5 only way to go it's only about 500 a month but golly it's fast

I have cable
  22. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    What you could do is try both cable and dsl. Most companies usually have a free period to try their service out. Just keep the one that works best for you because it really depends on location. And in response to that PVTCaboose guy or whatever his name is, your dsl is definately not the best there is, and if it is you must live far away from the station.

And for the record i currently have dsl, typical throughput is usually at around:
    4700ish down
    750ish up

which translates into about 580kb/s download speed with a 90ish kb/s upload.
    My advertised speeds are for 5mb down and 800K up.
  23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    After a series of tests I have 600-650DL 60-70UL

7X1 DSL Qwest.

Arescom DSL modem, hacked by yours truly. Shared with three other PC's.

Attached Files:

10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Awesome download speeds...I got 2815 Down/ 685 Up. Which is actually pretty good, 44% wifi signal with DI-524 (unmodded :p), connected to the DSL modem Verizon sent me. All I know is, I host games and people don't lag. Sometimes the DI-524 and the modem get unsynced in terms of IP address', but most of the time all I have to do is reboot one, the other, or both and I'm set.
  25. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im upgrading to Comcast's "gamer invasion" package soon. Its 8mbps/768kbps and comes with IGN Insider/Fileplanet/Gamespy subscriptions for free. 52.99 a month :toast: