1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual boot Windows 7 & XP on Raid 0 - No floppy drive

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NdMk2o1o, Jul 3, 2010.

1. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    As the title states looking to dual boot my Win 7 with XP, though I have a raid0 setup and no floppy drive, whats the easiest way to get the xp setup to recognise my raid array?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    When i did it i used a 3rd party app to add the drivers and then make the CD so i could boot with the required files needed. Tell ya the name of the app if i could remember but sure some else knows what program i am on about lol.

Although with mine i had to find hacked drivers so i had the .inf file for it to work.

Other things to remember is to install XP 1st and if XP fails after installing Vista \ Win 7 do not install XP again as it will remove the boot options (maybe there is a way to fix that though).

EDIT: it was called XPLite.
    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  3. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 WD caviar blacks 500G/ea in RAID0. I partitionned my raid into 3 sections, 75, 75 and the rest for storage and games. All drives must be formatted first, easier that way.

I installed win XP on the first partition(if you install win7 first, it won't work), win7 on the 2nd and that's it. Dual boot system :rockout:

4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Installing xp first is not an option as my main os is 7 and I dont want to reinstall, I just used nlite to create a xp disc with my raid drivers on, created a 200gb partition on my raid 0 setup and set about installing xp, got all the way through the install rebooted went to start up and BSOD'd guess the drivers didnt integrate. Then lost the option to boot into 7 :banghead: spent half an hour trying to get the win 7 repair to find my array and repair it, did it through cmd prompt in the end.

Have give up for now, will most likely just grab a floppy from work and try again next week :cry:

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
  7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Need help now, have installed windows xp on my seperate 320gb hdd and installation was fine, now I need to be able to let windows 7 boot manager detect xp, I can boot into either by setting either the raid array or the 320gb to boot 1st in bios, though how can I make windows boot mgr pick up the xp install so it gives me a choice before I boot????

8. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I thought it does it automatically? Well, I am dualbooting Win7 and Vista and everytime I boot, it asks me which one I want to boot up. I am using partition though, and the Vista has expired long time ago (trial version)

9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    With vista and 7 its not an issue as they use the same boot manager, windows xp was different, and you need to install xp 1st so that the vista/7 boot manager can detect the xp os.

If you install vista/7 1st xp doesn't detect them and thus you dont have the option of dual boot, though I am sure there is a way to get vista/7 to detect xp afterwards, just need to find out how.

10. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Ah, point taken.

11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    No one any ideas please!!!

Here is the setup:

Sata 1+2 in raid mode 2x 500gb in raid0 > Win7 installed
    Sata 5 in IDE mode > Windows xp installed

If I set the raid array to boot 1st I boot into windows 7
    If I set the 320gb to boot 1st I boot into windows xp

Windows 7 boot manager does not see windows xp
    How can I make the windows 7 boot manager see the xp install and give me a choice which os to load??

12. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    :confused: No one knows how to do this at all? :(

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You could do what Fourstaff said but. change the boot order in the bios or even disconnect the raid array till you have installed XP to another drive.

Then change it back to how it was and copy the boot.ini part for the config of the XP install to vista's although i would of though it would require some changing to the XP boot.ini info as the drives order going to be different.

Dam making me feel like trying it for the fun of it lol.

WARNING: i heard once that disabling the array could lead to loss if info although never happened to me ( intel chipset ).