1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual-core GPUs?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by farlex85, Mar 15, 2008.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible? I asked this briefly in another thread and receive an answer that did not satisfy my curiosity. With all the multi-core processors, I am wondering if this is going to be implemented in gpus (or if that would even be possibility).

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    It is definitely possible. The real question is when?

farlex85 says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely, ATi is working on that right now. It was possibly going to be implemented with the upcoming R700 cards, but it looks like it will be the generation after that or after that. Since GPU's are more complex than CPU's it's going to take some time cramming two together.

ShadowFold and farlex85 say thanks.
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet ATi will be the first to get a dual core gpu up and going, I think the HD 3870X2 was like a test to see if putting two cores on a single PCB would be efficient. Imagine a HD 4870X4 (two chips, 2 cores on each.)

farlex85 says thanks.
  5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet ati gets there first too. One of the reasons I'm curious though, is it seems like a much better way to get performance than 2 seperate cores put together. Less heat, less power, less money, and more performance ( you could actually get a full 100% gain from another core right?, not having to deal w/ those pesky sli or crossfire drivers). First company to produce a dual-core gpu w/ 1gb 512-bit mem gets my money. (maybe):laugh:

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    My guess is that it will be expensive at first :( definantly not in the range of budget gamers like me :cry: but yea you probly could get a 100% boost from the second core as long as ATi makes good drivers... lol

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suppose that is likely, companies charge for new tech.:shadedshu However, it should cost less to produce right? One gpu costs less than two right, even if the one has two cores.

8. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already started a thread on this abt 3 weeks ago, :p atthat time everyone was like, 'naw, too hot!' hehe

9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh well the wafers gotta be a little more to produce and i'd imagine it would be pretty power hungry. Idk I think they will be like 500-600$ at first maybe 700$. Plus they will probly be really long.

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, srry I didn't see it. I guess thats a good example of how fast things change in the pc world. :laugh:

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have to remember too, that keeping the cores separate keeps heat down. So we will probablly have to see a die shrink again before dual core happens. I also read a while ago that you could have four, even six or more gpu's on one PCB. If you think ahead when GPU's are really tiny, this could be very possible.

12. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehehe... With ATI allowing multi-GPU versions of it's cards now, it'll prolly be 2010 when we see dual core GPUs, BUT, someone said shader are like core or something... kinda confused me. I think we will also start seeing multi-cored Audio-PUs within a few years after multi-cored GPUs roll out.

13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Nah I doubt we will see dual core sound cards. Sound chips run only at like 400MHz right now anyway if I'm not mistaken.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The core speed doesn't really have anything to do with that. We'll likely never see dual-core audio processors because music/sound isn't nearly as demanding as other tasks.

15. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    GPUs are a very different design to CPUs. Most GPUs are ALREADY multi-core. Different versions of GPU's have more or less parts of the "GPU" switched on, e.g. pipelines/shaders. These are all operating in parallel which is equivalent to multi-threaded and multi-core in CPU terms.

Most soundcards are already "multi-core". They have independent sound-generators, and DSPs, working in parallel. Again, equivalent to multi-threaded and multi-core in CPU terms.

The difference between a GPU and soundcard and CPU is the level of sophistication and flexibility in what the "processors" can do. CPUs are very complex. GPU are simpler. Soundcards simpler still.

Fundamentally, their architecture is just different to a CPU. I think your question about "dual core" is based on a misunderstanding of how these chips work.

Intel's new Silverthorne architecture is to copy the ideas in GPUs, Soundcards, and Cell processor. That is to have 1, 2, 3 or 4 complex cores, surrounded by 8, 16, or 64 simpler "atoms". These atoms are about as sophisticated in what they can do as a GPU shader + soundcard combined. Relatively simple... working independently... but depending on what you are trying to do... adds a lot of horsepower.

16. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its possible the problem is when will it be cost effective. making a small gpu even smaller isnt cheap and atm its cheaper just to have 2 standard gpus on the same card! at some stage it will be possible i guess this will happen at some stage but the are lots of possible problems one that comes to mind is heat!