1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Core , Intel Pentium's ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by u2konline, Nov 19, 2008.

1. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Intel Pentium is a whole different family from Intel Dual Core's right?

Also, i have a couple questions:

#1 Do the Intel Pentium 4 really get extremely hot, i mean if you never OC the computer, it should be just as cool as Intel Pentium III's right?

or is it because people say the Intel Pentium 4 gets hot, because people are overclocking it?

#2 Is a Intel Pentium Dual Core, the Last of the Pentium Famly?

#3 Is a Intel Pentium Dual core just as good as a Dual Core and a Dual Core 2?

Or am i not making sense and the Pentium Dual core is a Dual core, but Dual core 1?

:wtf: ::roll:

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Pentium 4's get extremely hot. Single core P4's run as hot, and somtimes hotter than a Quad core Core 2, even at stock.

The new Pentium Dual cores are Core 2 processors, not Pentium 4. They have no relation to the Pentium 4's, other than the name.

More specifically, why do you want to know, are you looking for an upgrade? Did you have some specific processors in mind that you are looking at?

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Stock clocked P4's the hotter ones run pretty hot, I have seen them hold steady at idle around 60c.
    You can overclock them pretty well, but again, need some good cooling.

The intel Pentium D 8** and 9** are based on the P4 design, so they are not too great.
    The new Intel Pentium D 2*** series are a lot better!

No they do not really compete with Core2Duo's for obvious reasons.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the Pentium 4's and Pentium D's(the first dual core Intel processors) did get extremely hot, and not just when overclocked. It was a completely different processing architecture, geared towards high clock speeds, but was power hungry and produced a lot of heat. Essentially, the processors we have today are closer to Pentium III's than the Pentium 4's were.

The Pentium Dual-Cores we have today are nothing like Pentium 4's. When Intel released the Core 2 Duo family of processors, the processors were totally new, nothing like the Penium 4's and D's that came before it. The Pentium Dual-Core processors are lower end Core 2 Duo processors with parts of the L2 cache disabled, they have nothing to do with the Pentium 4's.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dunno why people say Pentium 4’s run hot. I Oced a Pentium 4 to 3.8 GHz and it never goes over 45 C load and 20 C idle. Maybe just luck or good airflow.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not on stock cooling you didn't.

7. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was stock!! now everybody's gonna be like omg when they read this!

8. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Well i have been using a Pentium III since 2000, working just fine. Its my main computer, and a while ago i said i was going to stick with the Pentium family, because my Pentium III has been working as i said since 2000, without any major trouble. So i kinda like dealing with a Pentium, and as of right now, i have 2 choices, which i came across at my local computer shop.

Intel Pentium 4 = 35 dollars, looks pretty good.

Or

Intel Pentium Dual Core = 75 dollars, kinda new.

Both are Gateway Brand's, which is a plus. But should i just go ahead and grab the Intel Pentium Dual Core. I know it may make more sense for anyone to buy a Pentium Dual core, instead of a Pentium, but i like moving my way up slowly lol, so i was going to go ahead and get the P4, but if the computer really does get hot, forget it.

No video card comes with the Intel Pentium Dual Core, but i am going to buy the Diamond 4670 along with a 8600GT soon.

Peace

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother with Pentium 4 at all. It's a dead architecture and they are not any more reliable than the current cpus. Any cpu can last 8 yrs, it's the other components that usually die first. Your best bet it to get a Core 2 based computer. The current E2xxx series fall into that category.

11. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should post some kind of budget limit and from there, we can give you some suggestions.

12. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you are on about pentium dual core E2*** series im afraid your wrong, aside from pentium they dont share the "D" that was namely for the dual core pentium 4 variants its simply pentium e2*** dual core(no D,) the similaritys end at the name pentium

they are part of the core 2 series and what are these obvious reasons you forgot to point out :wtf:, the only difference is the cache (and there 65nm) but other core 2's are also 65nm so that just leaves the ONLY difference being the cache

imo they compete very well with other core 2 duo's i mean price performance wise they are awesome and can clock very well 3.4ghz+

if the op is on about upgrading from a pentium 3 to a e2*** then they are very worthwhile, obviousley if you can stratch to maybe an e4*** that would be better, but the difference between the e2*** series and even the pentium D' is night and and the E2*** are a damn great performing budget chip.

13. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    He was willing to spent $35 on a p4. So the price should be around 0-50 USD.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    get a core2 cpu
    p4 domain has ended
    Nehalem has started
    Core 2 is mainstream until 2010

15. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    35$ is not much of an upgrade! He's willing to buy a 4670 also.

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well then, your monitoring software was likely wrong. Most of them idled at 40C, let alone loaded to 45C. That also means it had to be less than 20C in your room (67F) for you to get an idle temp of 20C.

17. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most likely it was room temp cuz it was winter and it was like 12F which is idk -8C?? If not then reading problem.

18. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the op is on about the e2** series (named pentium dual core) then it wont outperform that, although i do agree, on a tight budget a a dual core celeron core 2 based chip would be fine and hit 2.8ghz

i think you should post us a link of the processors you were looking at and a budget, and we cou8ld go from there ?

19. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I have to inform everyone, that i do not build computers. Yea i may remove parts from it, things which i don't need or not see fit to be there, but i always buy pre-built ones, i mean they make them for a reason, so i tend to buy it. But i only bought one computer my whole life, which is the one which i am using and its prebuilt. So i am sticking with that.

I also want to point out, that i only deal with gateway/intel products.
    Yea thats amazing, but i don't build, i buy pre-built.

I don't have a budget lol. I mean i am cheap , really cheap, but i am not on a budget.

I am just going to go ahead and buy the Intel Pentium Dual Core, i have to check the speed on it, but i think its 2.4ghz, maybe higher. I am buying the 2 video cards first tho, then the desktop computer. :)

The tower is only 75 dollars, however i am getting rid of my 3dfuzion FX5500, Jaton FX5200, Evga 5200, Evga 6200, Diamond 7000 , and getting 70 dollars for them. So that money i will use towards the tower. However, half of that 70 dollars, i am buying a Diamond SB edition 9250 PCI card, for backup reasons for my main computer which i am using now. For some reason some of my older games won't work with my none of my geforce cards, but work just fine with my ati cards, so the 9250 is clearly the best choice over the 7000 for those older games on this computer.

So i will buying the Intel Pentium Dual core for alot cheaper then 75 dollars. :rockout:

20. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Well, the Pentium went past the P4 and moved to a Core 2. I am using a Pentium Core 2 Duo E5200. The old P4's get HOT, very hot.

21. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Are you guys saying that the Pentium 4's get hotter then a PIII?
    I have no idea how hot my Pentium 3 gets, but my tower never gets warm, the only thing in my tower that gets warm is my Internal HD, but its working just fine, it only gets up to 50c tho.

Is there a reason that the p4 gets hot, i mean someone must either have alot junk in their tower, or they are overclocking it, something.

22. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they get way hotter than the P3. Different chips. Different power draw, and higher clocks.

23. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    wow a p3 with 98se my old p3 500mhz was running xp sp2 with 1 gig of ram till about a year ago p3's last a long time.

24. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    and mine didnt get hot about 38c but my room always has the a/c on all the time to the coldest setting 65f

25. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Yes I know its not a Pentium "D" I was too lazy to type Dual Core again.

And while yes they do follow the same basic design they really don't compare to the *Core2* series. With exception of the E5200 which seems to do an incredible job in most benchmarks, but still lacks the cache.

Bang for dollar, yes you are correct they are perfectly acceptable chips.
    I build a lot of systems with E2200's for customers who play games, even tossed a few 9800gt's, 9800gtx's in with them.