1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual monitor problems in games

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Laurijan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

Looted a condensator problem LCD out of the trash and repaired it and now its connected as second screen to my rig. It´s a 19" Viewsonic 1280x1024 and my main screen a Benq 1920x1080.
    On the Viewsonic i´d like to keep MSN and Skype and system monitoring apps open when gaming on the main screen on full-screen but with the games I have installed there is a big problem with dual monitoring and I dont know if its the settings or the old games I play.
    Games are Diablo II and Planescape Torment - problem goes like this:

When I open the games and have all apps I need on the second one it looks like the game changes also the resolution of the second monitor first then distorts the wallpaper on the Viewsonic sceen and finally the apps disapear.

Any idea how i can force the second LCD to stay 1280x1080 or any other suggestion?

thx
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    mine always shifted to the right during some games. What I did was keep moving the apps left until the shift positioned it right in games.
  3. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Ok some improvement - changed the refesh rate on the ViewSonic from 75 to 60Hz like the main monitor - no more distorted wallpaper and resolution changes but the apps still disapear.

Edit: Ok more improvement - with UltraMon I get the apps to stay visible on the second LCD but the shortcut to move the mouse to the other LCD and back doesnt react in any game I tried :C
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. becandl New Member

Thanks Received:
    What OS are you using? Seems to me like I used to have this problem in XP, but not in Windows 7. Might be the older games too. When I play games like WoW and I play it in full screen windowed mode I never seem to have problems with my second monitor, but that could be just because WoW is able to do that.
    Laurijan says thanks.
  5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    this happens to me if i'm not running a game at the windows chosen resolution. For example if the windows resolution for my main monitor is 1920x1080 and i play a game at 1280x1024 it a: looks like crap.. but more importantly b: it slides all the stuff on the second monitor over as it changes it's resolution as well. Check for that.. it could be the issue.
    Laurijan says thanks.
  6. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I use Win7 Ultimate 32x and still got the problem that the mouse is stuck on the main monitor while gaming.
  7. codyjansen

codyjansen

Thanks Received:
    i use xp 32 bit and use 2x viewsonic 19" @1440x900 and at first i had the same problem as you but i just witched all my games to windowed mode then maximized the window. has been working ever since then.
    Laurijan says thanks.