1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Monitor

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Duxx, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Duxx Guest

Okay so I would like to have dual monitors however I am not given the option I want in the Nvidia control panel. I want to be able to play games on one computer, while surfing the net on the other and have my mouse go in between them etc, The only options I get to choose from are Horizontal Span, Vertical Span, single monitor, and duplicate(same thing on both monitors). How do I accomplish this?! :) I don't want to span them, just have two separate ones at different resolutions.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used dual monitors with both ATI and Nvidia.

What you ask to do is impossible at the same time, unless the game can be run in windowed mode.

I do however usually use the second monitor for IM's, and on the fly monitoring of volts and temps on the second screen, while gaming on the first.

Usually I found the games will not allow you to go off the main screen durring gameplay( WarRock was the only one I played that allowed it)

But I think you are looking for Horizontal span, with the option to extend the desktop checked!

Hope this helps!

3. Duxx Guest

Well you're right about the windowed mode, I guess ill just have to play AoC in windowed mode :) Everytime i try to write over here, it minimizes the game! Stupid computers when will they ever learn ;)

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    computers never learn they are dumb

anyone can out smart a computer :slap:

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree , it would be a nice feature to have. In reality unless the game is super slow paced like Tiger Woods or similar, I rarely have time to do anything more than glance at what someone types in MSN.

I do however love the option to set up say CPU-z, and GPU-z and say coretemp on the second screen durring OC sessions. Than I run 3DM06 with then open to see whats going on durring. Also something I did find useful. You can use a browser in one window like FF, then open IE7 on the other. Makes cross comparison shoping or reviews a snap to do!

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its been said, windows/games are designed to have one window in focus at a time. games dont like the mouse leaving them.

Personally, i'd like it so that i could use a seperate mouse/keyboard per screen, or a keyboard combo to toggle between them.

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i found this with WMC, too. i can't have it "maxed" in one monitor cuz it traps my cursor in there. so i have to have it in "restored down" mode and then i just manually stretch it to almost full screen

it usually remembers the setting for a good time afterward, so i'm good to go

still kinda' a pain in the butt, though

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if you really want something fun to waste dual screen on, supreme commander actually supports dual monitors in game :D

9. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    www.ultramon.com is VERY handy utility for 2, 3, 4, 5... monitors.

A SECOND graphics card gives you a lot more freedom on what one screen can do while the other is busy running DIRECTX.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    does it offer what i mentioned before, the ability to swap the mouse/keyboard to another screen? (or lock one pair per screen)