1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Monitors Idle Temperatures

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Raven.7, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Raven.7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok...I'm running out of patience with this and Google has been absolute useless.

This pathetic and from my understanding, it is an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved. Why the hell doesn't AMD solve this problem? I'm sick and tired of having to browse the web in the middle of a lava pit! There is no reason why my room should be 95F when I'm sitting on my PC browsing the internet or working on a paper.

Before when I had two HD 6870s in crossfire mode, they would both run at 60C IDLE powering up two simple monitors. Now, I have an HD 7950 which idles at 56C while running two monitors. 56C, with a single monitor, is GAME RUNNING TEMPERATURE for my 7950.

My room temp is 26C, I have a MASSIVE case with good airflow (HAF 932) and my CPU runs very cool 30C.

Yesterday, I figured I'd run CompUSA and purchase a second video card (HD 5450) to run the second monitor...that ought to bring down my card to it's single monitor idle temperatures of 36C.

Guess what...

[​IMG]

Someone please help me out before I throw this second monitor out the window.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    What clock is the card running at when you have it hooked up to dual monitors, and is it stock cooling or custom? 40-50 idle is pretty normal, as ATI cards run max memory clocks and higher core when you have a second monitor hooked up, even my ASUS 7970 DCII idled in the 40-50 when it was summer here in Australia.

3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
  4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Try ATTray tools and make a profile for 2d browsing and 3d gaming.

This should stop them from 'spooling' up whenever they feel like it.

5. Sadasius

Sadasius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never noticed a temperature change going form one monitor to two. I find this weird.

[​IMG]

6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't. Has been this way since 5-series cards.

First, lowered clocks gave huge cursor corruption, and flickering monitors. The fix was a clock increase.

This, of course, leads to the higher temps. Then, the flicker wasn't truly fixed for everyone...

then the cursor corruption came back...

I used to get tonnes of comments on how my temps were high...blah blah...that's part of the reason they were recognized as "high". Nobody caught on about that though.

the 5850 i ahve left here, and both my 7950s do teh same, high temps at idle, becuase clocks do nto sit at 300/150...they sit at 500/1250, with UVD voltage. :p

8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Nice to know, I have never noticed temps, but I have wondered why my clocks sometimes don't idle down as much. My Cards are sitting at 22 and 26 degrees, respectively with two monitors. I guess that's what blocks are for;)

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

Yeah, in that case, you'd not notice too much. :p

:pimp:

10. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia cards used (may still, I haven't really checked) to do this as well, they wouldn't down clock all the way when multiple monitors were connected.