1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Opteron 2GHz any good for WCG

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Laurijan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I work in a PC Recycling company nowerdays and today i started to be the assistant of the PC parts shop salesman there in that company.. we got wierd stuff in like mobos with 2x 2GHz Opterons... would they make good crunching farms?

Lauri

2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    There are several 2Ghz models. I'd pass if they were single-core, might think about it if dual-core.

Best bet I think would be to be on the lookout for boards that support quad-core chips, both single and dual socket.

3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I would say they would be pretty good for WCG, especially if they are the dual-core opterons. Even if they are single cores, I would still go for it, I run a number of single-core computers for WCG

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up a dual Xeon 2.8 with HT(old HT) for 219 referb. That's 2 single processors with HT. It score on avg. 600 points a day. So, your looking at around 400 points a day for single core opterons. Now the big question are you going to power them at home or work? If it's work then hell yea! hehehe but I would do it for home as well. lol I'm still running a duron 800mhz spitfire... lol

Do you have to pay for the hardware? If so, I wouldn't pay more than 150 cause you can ususally pick them up at geeks.com for that price referb.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I´ll probably get 3 of these dual socket mobos with the opterons for 50€ and i am gonna run them at home..

6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I remember when I upgraded my 3500+ to a dual core Opteron 180 for folding. It was chewing through WU's like nothin. If your running dual 2.0Ghz boards then crunching will be awesomeness to the max!

7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's how it was for me when I went from the Pentium M to the Q9400. WUs that used to take 16 hours are now done in 6, and it does 4 at once :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm im thinking about gettign an old dual socket mobo to mess with s my athlon xp is now rip .. if u see anything cheap and energy efficient holler at me

9. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Total price? That's not bad at all.

My thinking was that if you're working at this center, you might come across some boards with C2D, C2Q, Phenom, etc, support. They would be easier to setup, power, and produce a lot more points. But, can't beat that mini-cluster deal.

10. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I decided against the Dual-Socked solution and go for with 1x i7 860 with Hyper-Theading... will save the money it cost more in my electricity bill fast and i calculated that this crunching rig will cost me a grad total of only 446,4€!!

Moved this matter to thread:
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=106937

11. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Used to run an Opty 170, 165, and a 3800X2 on WCG. They crunch well :) I too am looking for an i7 setup, although deals seem few and far between.

[Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU