1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual socket setup.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DayKnight, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I have been thinking of making a thread regarding this for a long time and today I am finally doing it.

So, I dont like single socket setup anymore. In my eyes, dual is the future (no offence meant to singe socket lovers).

This is just the start. I will be gaining as much knowledge about this new world and my next setup would be based on all that info.

See my current setup?. I am happy with that but not the processing power. Only dual processors will quench that.

Anyone know what is upcoming in next 6 to 8 months?.

What is the latest in dual socket world?.
  2. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you need all that processing power for?
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    This, that's very specific niche of people who really need that much compute power. It's going to cost a lot of money and if all you do is play games (I'm not saying you do, but most people on TPU do,) then this is a complete waste of money.

Is there any reason why you're not looking at investing in an IVB i7 like a 3770? If more cores help you, so will hyper-threading.
  4. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, actually most applications today won't be able to take advantage of such parallelism that would exist in a 16 or 32 core system, unless you are talking about enterprise applications and databases holding terabytes of data.

For everybody else, storage is the slowest component, and faster SSDs will benefit most. RAID them if you're still not happy.

I am curious what you wanna do with all that power...
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not relational data, that's for sure. Unless you're using a MapReduce-like technique for getting and relating data, you're not even going to be running that in multiple threads. Keep in mind that most servers have a lot of cores not because the software is multi-threaded but because you have a ton of people logged into a system and each person is essentially another process or set of processes, so server workloads (regardless of how they're programmed,) more often than not, are inherently multi-process. Web servers certainly are.

I don't recommend RAIDing SSDs unless you have money to spare and you're really hell-bent on doing it. You won't feel a difference despite having 1GB/s of bandwidth. Your IOPS doesn't improve by running RAID (in fact it gets worse,) so your random reads/writes might actually suffer a bit. For most cases, one bigger SSD would be ideal.

Me too.
    digibucc says thanks.