1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Wired Network

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by surfsk8snow.jah, May 18, 2007.

1. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know anything about this dual wired networking ("Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet") I'm seeing in new motherboards? You have the ability to hook in 2 different network cables.
    How does this work? Combining two cable speeds, and if so how efficient? Or connecting to two different networks?
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if you want to pay for two separate broadband connections and set them up over the network bridge. Or, plug your network in, get a wireless card, steal your nieghbors wireless internet as well, and it will work. I don't believe it's stealing if some dumb-ass can't set up thier network security.
  3. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    its more for networking rather than internet
  4. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. They're broadcasting it for use. It's like if you put your cable TV outside facing the street, and expect your neighbors not to watch it. If you don't want people watching your TV, or using your wireless, secure it.
  5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It simply is the same as having 2 network cards. Most people only have need for 1 though.

As for accessing unsecured wireles networks, it's a bullshit argument. If you leave your backdoor open, do I have the right to enter your home and take your stuff?
  6. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Regardless of what you believe its against the law. And at the end of the day the law (cartman) wants you to "respeck ma authoritay!"
  7. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    That's a completely incongruent analogy.:shadedshu

But to answer: No, Just the same as I wouldn't walk in someone's house and plug into their wired network connections, or for that matter, drink their water. But, if their sprinklers are on, spraying into the street, and it's dang hot and I'm thirsty, I'm gonna drink it. Broadcasting is just that: Casting Abroad.
    I also wouldn't ever even consider tapping into someone's personal network to access their private files. That is indeed a breach of privacy.

As for the dual network ports, its still curious to me why all the new top-o-the-line mobos are including 2 separate Gigabit Network Ports if no one can utilize them.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    On my old board, I used one for Internet, and the other for networking.
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Many people have internet and a LAN nowadays. And I guess dual Gbit doesn't cost much more than dual fast Ethernet. Therefor I would say the focus is on the dual ports, not on the Gbit.

As for the analogy, it is not different. You can't simply compare a radio signal to matter. If people broadcast it doesn't mean people should tap into it. Plus your sprinkler analogy isn't correct either, your water doesn't potentially contain private date. A network does. It is jsut weird to defend yourself by saying "you should have protected your stuff". To use a completely stupid but perhaps explaining analogy it's like kicking someone on the street in the nuts and saying "you should have learned karate".
  10. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's got a point. Think of the airport frequencies for example.
    Just because they are broadcast out over kilometres to planes doesnt make it legal for you to listen in OR add your own data by responding with your own radio equipment (if thats even possible, i have no idea, im guessing it would require some sort of high powered transponder).

The laws are defined in the telecommunications act of 1994 IIRC.
  11. Nicholson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dual network ports can be used as a team to double the bandwith and speed of your connection. The switch/router on the other end needs to be set up in the same way though.
  12. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    That makes sense on having one port for network and one port for internet. Thanks.

Alright, that's kewl. I totally grant you the difference in the private data. And I get what you're saying about kicking someone and telling them that, in that regard. To be clear, I don't do this pretty much ever because I have my own kickin fast upgraded cable connection that I don't think any of my neighbors even come close to, but, as for the principle of it. The private data is where you've got me. The "access point" to a public utility, the internet, I still just feel like it's really not a big deal, so long as it doesn't go beyond that. And that's why there's laws out there, because many people don't have those boundaries, and because people are like "Oh it's MY internet, wah wah wah." So they put this law out to appease the "patriotic american" who will continue to vote them in. Just because a law exists tho doesn't mean that it's the truth, or the way things are. It's just what a few people have decided, and we know how corrupt those few people are getting nowadays.
    Anyways not to make a political discussion, but, thanks for the info, and the logical discussion (vs. flame battle lol... gah those are dumb).

The mobo I'm getting is gonna have this, so maybe I'll screw around with this when I get it.
  13. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the way i like to think about it is they might not know how to setup there secure network as easy as it is to most of us and for me to use there network is taking advantage, and if someone was to figure out how to hack into my computer and use my internet id be ver angry! could say people that use other people networks are like spam :)