1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Duke Nukem Forever by December

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Take Two's future looks grim, as they have posted a $50.2 Million Dollar loss last week. So they have put a $500.000 Dollar reward out for 3D Realms to grab, if they manage to finish Duke Nukem Forever by December. So maybe we will see the game hit the shops for Christmas.

Source: TheINQ

2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I'd play it!

:)

* Anyhow, you have to miss good ole' "Duke Nuclear" (as I call him): He's the "Character WITH character", the original!

(I mean, how many games (even now) when you have their main man look into the mirror say "DAMN! I'm lookin' GOOD today!"??)...

APK

P.S.=> Also, I saw this over @ "Slashdot" a day or two back... & as usual there? MANY 'naysayers'!

(But, imo? Well, that's just slashdot generally...)

Thing is, I actually sort of respect them for changing thru so many game engines & technologies... nowadays, and I can tell you this POINT-BLANK from experience?

It's a HUGE money game in software development, many times code is issued with many KNOWN defects (usually intermittent types, but there & known), because if it's NOT delivered "ontime"?

Penalties are paid... & even if NOT commercial software (e.g.-> MIS/IS/IT db style info. systems work)? Same deal - why?

IMO & experience - a REAL problem in this industry as a whole: Managers & marketers promising to "turn the grass blue & sky green, YESTERDAY", but never having done the job themselves.

Project estimation? One of the HARDEST things to do, even if you have done jobs like the one being speculated upon... I'll say this even now, after years of doing it for a job.

I've seen SO much of that ("frat boys" putting their pals into jobs they do NOT belong in, like Business Analysts &/or mgt. positions in this field, it's nuts... Personally, I'd never promote anyone into that role, unless they HAVE experience w/in the field, hands-on, in the trenches first!)

apk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    agreed their are still so many old good looking games i mean anyone still play ocarina of time using emu or the n64? beautiful game UNBELIVABLE!!! oldys even old series are still great.

4. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    to quote supertroopers: "I'll believe that when me shit turns purple!"

5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    A little something to "hold you all over" until then?

See subject line, & get your original Duke Nukem 3d Cd-Rom installation disk out:

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

:)

* It works well, & is yet another OpenGL/DirectX 3d display paradigm port of a classic!

(I play it here on occasion (big fan of 3rd person shooters, & of "Duke Nuclear" himself - he's hilarious! Again - he IS the "character WITH character", the original imo!))

APK

P.S.=> Links are also added to another thread some of you may find interesting IF you aren't aware of the work being done porting "old-school" sprite-animated "classics" to 3d diplay methods:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=105305#post105305

apk

6. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol... yeah right december...