1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Duke Nukem Forever developed by Gearbox rumored

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 13, 2010.

?

Do you think that this makes sense?

1. Yes, i thank Gearbox for helping 3DR , i bet on this is true.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No, i think this it is only a rumor and i don't bet it's true.

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Kotaku

Joystiq

Shacknews

Geek

next gen

CVG

GiantBomb

Techspot

Gamespot

Destructoid

Voodoo Extreme

CrunchGear

Eurogamer

VG247

KokuGamer

CinemaBlend

PS3 Thropies

Digital Battle

Gamespy

Firing Squad

Videogamer

Escapist magazine

Tom's hardware

VgChartz

Big Download

IGN Daily fix

MTV blog

Gearbox Forums Thread

3D Realms forums Thread

Why this looks like a possible truth and probably it makes sense to me:

Gearbox was teased before , in "fan made" trailers ,teasers there was Gearbox logo movie.

Gearbox Software is very close to 3DRealms offices , former Plano, latter Garland, both in Dallas area , ~10 miles apart.

Gearbox seems to not be so busy as ID software is which GB already asked and they were turned down , being busy with their own projects , ofcourse , Doom 4, Rage , ID Tech 5 ... etc, big big stuff.

Gearbox , was previously doing Duke games so this is just mere "deal extension" , so the developer was having a duke nukem team and it's not a big deal as if you would start a new deal right now.

Gearbox are private small developers but quite evolved and are great, 170 employees is surely more than 3Drealms had , and they're the best CHOICE; Valve (steam= DRM) and Epic became selfish , Activision total crap , don't even mention EA , ID software busy , ... there were other choices but Gearbox fits and that is very close to garlad is a huge plus , i think GB also pays a visit to direct the game of course he won't let somebody screw it at the bit end.

A lot of guys said on 3DR forums, this rumor is one of the best in years , but they still can't believe it.

Anyways , how you guys think , answer the poll.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I do not think a software company, except those who gave birth to it are able to finish it.

The brain was 3D Realms and this game is dead with them .
  3. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Do you really think George would sit and watch , he's proably there to direct the game and manage , just like how they did the Max Payne 2 when take two was making it but they called 3DR for help , regardless the Max Payne IP was fully sold to take two.

There are some 3D realms guys at gearbox too ...
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Gearbox never worked on a Duke Nukem game. They worked on Half-Life based games originally.

Physical location says nothing about IP ownership. 3D Realms owns it and they have said, under oath, they are working on it. I believe 3D Realms doesn't have the capital to pay Gearbox for working on it unless it is commission based.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:

"but it's worth noting that Gearbox also worked on Duke Begins, the Duke Nukem prequel that was axed, or delayed indefinitely."

http://kotaku.com/5314491/gearbox-named-as-developer-for-scrapped-duke-begins
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  6. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Take-Two (the capital) pressured 3D Realms to use Gearbox Software on Duke Begins, it sounds like. Take-Two has basically abandoned 3D Realms resulting in cancelation of Duke Begins.

I think it is plausible that 3D Realms gave up on development on DNF and contracted Gearbox to finish it. 3D Realms probably arranged a royalty for every sale of DNF but it is still a mystery who would publish it unless Take-Two is still involved.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    "Take-Two Interactive still maintains publishing rights to the title, which the company confirmed to Kotaku tonight. (A company spokesperson declined to comment about the status of the Duke Nukem Forever project and whether it is in the works at Gearbox.)"

Did you read the article ? :confused:

However i can agree that possibility to use external developing was actually in plan since SM wanted to abolish in-house development long time ago , but i think GB knew that without in-house the games would have NOT been as qualified.

I saw it , you removed the thank ;)
  8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why Take-Two bothers. They've put so much in to the game and they got virtually nothing back. Gearbox sounds like a last-ditch effort to me.

When you submit a quick edit, it doesn't display the thanks bar. You're seeing a bug in the AJAX code. It was never removed.
    RuskiSnajper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Take two only did what is a "investment" , bought GT and claimed they gave 12 million for DNF rights , which is completely not true as 3DR never saw nor heard about that money and what GT had in deal with T2.

All take two has made was in their view just a simple BAD INVESTMENT , and BIG companies never see failure only super success they think they have EVIDENCE to hide their bad investment , it's a BAD investment , didn't go as they wanted , THEIR FAULT. It's simple as that , you always gamble , but big corporations use legal system as weapon to claim back that what they "lost" , they weren't stolen of anything really.
  10. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was under the impression that 3DR went bust , so afaik have nothing to do with the game anymore , unless some ex 3DR staff now work at Gearbox..
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    A bad investment indeed. They've been waiting for results for 10 years now. If I were Take-Two, I would have cut and run many years ago. I certainly wouldn't have pumped a lot of money into 3D Realms so they could get another developer involved. Hell, that's what common business sense would dictate so, we're obviously missing something that Take-Two sees. They must believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Duke Nukem Forever is worth saving or, perhaps, they are expecting to make a lot of money off the Duke Nukem franchise later (not necessarily DNF).

From the pictures I have seen, I can't same I'm all too interested. It looks too much like a Doom game and I'm not one to like those horror types of games.

3D Realms is still around but I don't know how they are still making money. It must be on old games sales and IP.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
    There should have been a third poll option: "Don't care anymore."

With everything that's happened, delays, restarts, and now games of musical chairs with developers, even if by some off chance the game does someday come out, there's no way it will be any good.
  13. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    DN3D Xbox live ,
    DNMP Xboxl live ,

DN3D got more than a million off the sales.
  14. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How many developers are there for this game????? By time this game is released it will have a intro video of about 1 hour presenting all the developers that worked on the game! LOL
  15. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's George's fault all this shit happened. If someone would have hit him in the head with a lead pipe we might have had this game years ago.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  16. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    He should just have had released the game when it was weeks from release in 2002 , when the shops were already starting to make preorders. It wasn't finished okay but atlest it would be something

Maybe he wants to make it so perfect he can't find a better name for it , DNF "Duke nukem Forever" seems an awesome name for a title , and DNF1 DNF2 DNF3 is not cool.
  17. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Releasing an unfinished game vs letting hype build up for a decade and then releasing it (hopefully finished) ... doing it this way seems to promise more sales.
  18. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    But only if you have enoguh money to survive that long without a major release :=)
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    If Gearbox took over on the project, I think they'll be able to do it justice. 3D Realms screwed the pooch for far too long developing DNF.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not going to happen. There is no Duke Nukem Forever. Until it is released, I am correct with my statement.
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't think much of GB to be honest.

The real sad part is that T2 put all that money in it like most companys today wont and got screwed.

And we wounder why we get crappy assed 1/2 assed BS games today.
  22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. George was actually the main reason to why the game was never released, he kept throwing the game in this endless cycle that got him and the team no where.

As for a release, i don't know. I think it depends on how far the game is already currently developed. Then again, Duke Nukem Forever is already a joke throughout the gaming community, most people don't give a damn about it anymore and any mention of it is just a reminds of how they failed us.

If GearBox thinks they can push this game out the door while still maintaining the expectations and quality that has been know from the Duke Nukem franchise, then have at it, the floor is yours and if you think you can entertain us with something that has been pretty much shunned by the gaming community, then more props to ya.

To me, the game is dead and always will be, the original devs are long gone and the game is a lost cause. But who knows.... maybe Gearbox will pull a miracle out there ass and turn it into something worth buying.

But really, it's been 12+ years and i am expecting nothing from this ''game''.
  23. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  24. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    There's plenty of Duke to go around!
  25. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received: