1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Duke Nukem Forever

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1Kurgan1, May 9, 2011.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    The console reviews so far have been a lot lower than the PC reviews. But we'll see when more reviews come out.

Thats exactly why I like metacritic, some review high, some review low, so an average is best.

Duke is basically a playable Ash. If you don't love Evil Dead / Army of Darkness, then don't play. B movie is the perfect way to say it.

crazyeyesreaper and cadaveca say thanks.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How are you guys playing the game and its not released yet?

3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's been released in the UK. So the UK gets it before the US. Weird, but true.

4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I know you're insane, but are you serious?

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It's already out in UK and Australia got it yesterday. Still 4 more days for U.S.:(

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    UK release. Thats made sense because if they were posting pirated software screens I was going to report them all.

7. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
  8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Wait... you mean that... I have DNF for PC actually laying on my desk, and won't bother playing it until tomorrow soonest, and you AMERICANS have to wait four days? Did I miss something, I haven't seen any pigs fly?

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Everywhere, except the US/Canada, already have access to the game, whether it be by console versions, or through STEAM. It's even released in South America...

Bites my balls a bit, but oh well. Gonna play Dirt3 in Eyefinity instead.

10. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    LOL, ya it's strange considering they are an American developer, i was really shocked seeing UK, Australia and even Japan already have it.:eek:

11. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Duke Nukem: Forever is out, entire herds of pigs have had angel wings surgically implanted and have now taken to low orbit.

MRCL says thanks.
  12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Not if you are in North America :(

13. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    ITS OUT ITS OUT!! i want to see the reviews ^_^

14. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    Yeah.. stores got it yesterday over here.
    They want $85 for it though.
    I mean.. seriously?
    :/

15. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Australia sells it? I thought anything that is violent even in the slightest is prohibited there? And DNF uses up almost every PEGI pictograph.

Jack Doph says thanks.
  16. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    Yep. It's MA15+

17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I tried googling a few reviews and they all pan it.

No, it's not in the same league as Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament, but it's still fun. I love all the super ego and OTT un-PC humour; it's about time we saw a product that dares to push this boundary. So yeah, it's another alien invasion story and you gotta blast all the baddies like every other shooter, but the Duke angle works.

Also, guess what? It's not even all that violent. I've seen more violence and gore in many other games. Doom, which came out way back in 2004, was much more gory than this. Duke Nukem should be a 15 cert, no more.

Come on critics, give it a break. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just found this pre-release review from 5 years ago!

[​IMG]

Looks a bit different doesn't he? More badass now, I reckon.

Ars Technica

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  18. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    it does, i didn't look at it, in-game :roll:

19. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Lrn2games.

20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Duke Nukem i have played until after the RC Car section so im not that far into it but i can tell you right now the ai is bad. Half the time enemies dont focus on you when your near, which is because of another problem the game has it doesn't try to cover up being highly scripted. I punched out a grill on an air vent and the NPC was right in front of the grill so i expected it to turn and shoot me in the vent but it didn't do anything until i left the vent, which would be because it was scripted like that. The level design so far isnt anything exciting either. The character models all look like they where made in The Sims 3 but in general the graphics are like an early xbox 360 title, think condemned not horrible to look at though.

Batman Arkham Asylum never made itself look linear because it had great level design, even though it was largely a linear game sending you to certain places. Duke feels like its stuck in the late 90s or early 2000s design wise, its very linear.

Never once did i think Duke was badass in this game. The EGO shield makes him feel less badass as your having to hide till it charges up again. I thought that the jokes from the NPCs are cringe worthy like one of the girls said something about putting Duke in her pocket like a little pet or something and the other made a joke about a "HOT POCKET" it even had this pause after she said it like the game was trying to say GET IT? GET IT? Toilet humour, its like how some people might enjoy fart jokes.

Duke Nukem Forever is not terrible i haven't seen any major bugs in the game so far but its not that well designed either, IMO im finding it kinda boring compared to some other modern shooters.

EDIT: Another joke was the "FAGS" joke where a cigarette packet had a guy in a leather police uniform on the front and it said FAGS, fags have dual meaning in the UK meaning cigarettes and poofters.

21. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I knew this would be a big let-down. I've been watching posts for years now about this game and from the start I said it will never live up to the hype...and I'm happy to say I'm right.

22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    What hype? The most hype about this game was if it would even come out. I haven't ever seen anyone saying DNF would be game of the year, or even close, everyones know this type of game would never make it. It's rude and it's crude, and you can't handle it. Heck I made this thread and I was just hoping to see this game get a 75/100 rating, this games got a cheesy storyline, cheesy 1 liners, and a cheesy hero, Dukes obviously not for you, so why even visit the thread.

AltecV1, TheMailMan78, random and 2 others say thanks.
  23. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Who's Duke?

If you're wondering where Duke's voice comes from, the voice acting is done by Jon St. John.

Jon's done loads of video games, including various Half-Lifes and America's Army.

Look here: www.imdb.com/name/nm0820652

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I think a lot of people are misguided about Duke. These same people think Mr. Bean is a comical genius.

DNF is a low brow, low budget, trip to the 90's/80's with a stereotypical American badass. No one said it was going to be ground breaking. No one said anything but "OMG its gone gold!". Honestly I think most of these reviews are........

(A) Console noobs who never played the original.

(B) To young to remember when a Duke Nukem style hero was a mans, man. Not like these ipad sporting hippie queers of today.

Bottom line is DNF will ether be LOVED or HATED. So play the demo. Don't like the demo then don't buy it.

25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, well said, MM. :)

I think the bloody critics have to pan products to justify their existence. Sure, things like graphics, AI, 90s throwback and all that are true, but as you say, they're missing the whole fucking point.

I've played lots of quality modern games, so know what to expect. This is pure cheesiness and uncensored un-PC fun - and I love it! That's it's prime ingredient and it does it very well, therefore the game is a success in my book. I've played over 4 hours of it now, so know whether it works for me or not. Oh and I never played the original back in the 90s, either.

The real things to criticize are the 'program mechanics' issues I pointed out in this thread and the other one, not the stuff the critics are criticizing it for. Shit, I can hardly spell 'criticizing' and had to think carefully. :rolleyes: Get a life reviewers.