1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Durable & Effective Fans...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Bokteelo, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to buy either a Cooler Master HAF or an Antec 1200 for my system. I wanted to know what kind of 120mm fans were the most durable and effective. Noise isn't exactly a problem since when gaming, I have on a pair of Creative Fatal1ty gaming headsets, and when I'm watching videos I'll just turn the fans on low.

So yeah... durable and effective cooling/case fans? I'm looking to heavily OC my i7 if I ever get one, which I probably will soon so I need some kickass fans for the TRUE. (Sometime this Saturday when I'm driven down to Micro.) I also need 2 more fans for the Antec 1200 if I decide to go with them. One for either the CPU or GPU behind one of the internal drives up front, and one for the side.

I don't want to order off any more websites because currently I'm getting parts & pieces off Amazon, Newegg, and Sidewinder. If possible, please choose from this list: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/120mmfans.html

-Effective
    -Durable
    -Noise isn't a problem unless they're like car engines.
    -No LED
    -Under $15 per fan
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I would definitely take the HAF 932 over Antec 1200.

Bottom PSU Mount (4x Side, 1x Front, 3x Top, 1x Bottom, 1x Rear)
    Top PSU Mount (4x Side, 1x Front, 1x Top, 1x Bottom, 1x Rear)

I would set it up like this

4x Side Yate Loon Med Speed
    1x Front Yate Loon High Speed
    2x Top Yate Loon Low Speed
    1x Bottom Yate Loon High Speed
    1x Rear Yate Loon Low Speed

if you go to Jab-Tech you can get Yate Loons for $3-4 each. they are great because they offer roughly the performance of a Scythe S-Flex Series at a fraction of the cost.

for the TRUE, a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000.
  3. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Do you really need more fans in these cases?

Antec Twelve Hundred: Two three-speed 120mm rear fans, one 200mm top fan.

Cooler Master HAF 932: one 140mm rear fan, one 230mm front fan, one 230mm top fan, and one 230mm side fan.

The Antec might benefit from some intake airflow, but the Cooler Master has things covered. The Scythe S-FLEX fans are nice, and they use Sony's Fluid Dynamic Bearing (the SlipStreams don't qualify as durable because of their sleeve bearings).
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I hope I didn't imply "get the case because it has more fan mounts" the case simply has more features. a rule of thumb for good air flow the case should have at least 5 fan mounts more doesn't necessarily mean overkill if you set it up properly.
  5. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did consider the S-FLEX. And if I'm going to get the 1200 I want it packed with fans. I mean, I can always turn them off with the Kaze Master ACE I'm going to buy. I'd feel a lot more secure if I had spare fans to drop some temps in urgent situations.

I will keep this post in mind when looking at the HAF and 1200 in person sometime this weekend. I forgot to mention that I'm looking to mount 2 fans onto the TRUE for a push/pull effect. I heard that doing so would give me better temperatures, and boy does every drop in C count.
  6. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would recommend some deltas, very good fans and well designed
  7. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are they durable? I'm thinking 2 Scythe S-Flex's for my case and 2 Deltas for the TRUE.
  8. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    scythes are good fans, and deltas push a shit ton of air, kinda noisy thought, but they got the power, some are kinda pricey thought
  9. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, so it's going to be 2 Scythes and 2 Deltas. Yate Loons are supposedly very good for cooling and are durable, but I'm not too sure about them. Binge told me they can take a lot of abuse, but having to order off another site gets me kind of annoyed.

Edit: I decided to go with 2 Scythe SFF21Gs for the case and 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000s for the TRUE. Can anybody justify that I've made a good decision? I would've went for the Deltas but they were a little expensive and only have 3 blades. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing, but in my opinion, the more the merrier!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I would of gone with Yate Loons very cheap.

I personally don't understand why people like the Antec 1200.

this is what the HAF 932 has over the Antec 1200.

11. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm, I'll have to wait until I see the HAF in person. Paulieg's offer is really tempting. If I can stand the looks, I'm going to buy his. If I can't... well Antec it is!

I've been reading reviews on Newegg, and apparently the Ultra Kazes are LOUD. Would that matter if I had a fan controller though? I don't need it at it's fastest 24/7, just when I'm doing something that requires extra cooling. If not, what would be another good fan? Keep in mind that these 2 fans are being mounted onto my TRUE for a push/pull effect and not the case.

The immensely large amount of cooling the Ultra Kaze is capable of is basically an insurance for me. I'll probably never run it at that speed, but if something happens and I need quick cooling I can crank it up! Am I thinking correct? This is my first custom computer so I do need clarification in many areas.
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    thats fine. how much are you paying for both Ultra Kazes?
  13. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm grabbing them off Newegg for 8.29 + 4.82 shipping.
  14. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just built a new system and my case didn't come with fans, I got what I could afford and put a blue Thermaltake 120mm smart fan blowing air in from the front, at a quiet 2300rpm it decreased CPU load temps by ~5C all by itself. I'm just gonna get a regular, quiet Masscool for the rear exhaust since one LED fan is all I need (especially when I get a Kingwin Mach PSU, it's plenty of blue).