1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dust 514

Discussion in 'Games' started by EastCoasthandle, Oct 12, 2009.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dust 514 is a Sci-Fi MMO/1st Person Shooter/Real Time Strategy hybrid set within the EVE Universe. CCP Games unveiled Dust 514 from their Shanghai studio who have been working on it for the last three years.

One thing that caught my attention were elements from Halo using similar assualt rifle and the use of the warthog. I don't agree with their decision to make this a console only game tying it in with Eve Online as a PC based game. It makes no sense.

Trailer
    Source
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    if it came out for pc this is one i would have to try
  3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Its not for PC o_O

come on
  4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the Kill Zone Engine. Just hope the controls are better than Kill Zone cause thats what killed the game for me.
  5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Fantastic Idea for CCP IMO. They already have a huge player base for PC's with EvE Online, and it's getting much better with free Expansions every year. Plus with the "Players Walking around EvE" stations and the planet Redesign, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Expansion's allowed for players of EvE to engaged in ground combat with the Dust 514 players.

They are hitting a major market for console's as well as PC's a cross-platform/Hybrid MMO. Is brilliant.
  6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand. If they have a big PC player base how can they exclude them with Dust 514 as console only? I just don't understand the logic (honestly I don't :eek:). Wouldn't you think that those who play Eve online would also want to play Dust 514 on the PC as well?
  7. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    There not, the PC Player base is to deal with Space/Sovereignty while the ground troops (Dust 514) Engage in the FPS roll of taking the planets over. There's probably more info somewhere, but that's the gist I have gotten so far.
  8. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    That's the part I'm really interested in to be honest (FPS). But not on the console. I understand (I think) how they are dividing this up between MMO/RTS and FPS. There was another game like this but I don't recall. I don't think it was Galaxies but another game competing with Galaxies that didn't do well (do to some update that change the concept of the game, or something or another).
  9. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    You an me both. It's really tight lipped as of right now. But with the EvE expansion Dominion coming out, they are preparing for the launch of Dust 514 with changes to how PvP/Sovereignty works.

And in Dominion, PC players are going to be able to walk around Space Stations, and soon, fly low level orbit into Planets (Hunch/Rumor on that one)
  10. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I just don't get their logic. I don't recall MMO/RTS ever doing well on the console like it does on the PC. Galaxies/WoW, etc all did/does well on the PC. I do hope they reconsider.
  11. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

A MMO/RTS never went well..

But if this is done right, then it could work...Hell I love EvE it is by far the Best space MMO to date.

To have a Hybrid, FPS for ground pounder's on a large scale Console growing Era is money in their pocket. Can't really go wrong. Brings in the cash.

But if it can sustain the player base, and integrates well with an Easy control system, then it could be successful.

The Tom Clancy End War, is what this reminds me of (Without the FPS) and I believe that was horrible...
  12. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I think FF7 (I forget which number) also flopped! I recall it was hyped up to no end because it was PS exclusive game that crossed over to the 360. Anyway, I hope they consider the PC community.
  13. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    It was a huge hit on PC not on 360 or all consoles ya. But that was 1 game made to port across Console/PC. This is to Interact with EvE and be separate on consoles.

Well I think they are considering the PC players to focus on EvE instead, and the console players to focus on Dust 514.

Shit I would love to have both available on PC.
  14. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    The inside information from the fanfest was as follows:

1. Eve is very successful but has a very niche target audience
    2. Dust is targeting those least likely to play Eve (ie console FPS players)
    3. Dust may come to PC but.....see point 2
    4. Eve players will never be able to join in the planetside battles (in FPS terms)
    5. Eve players will contract Dust players to capture resources/locations on planets for SOV purposes.
    6. Eve Dominion will be released 1st December (Not really Dust related - SOV has been a bag of sh** forever)
    7. Eve COSMOS will be released in Q1 2010 (Kinda like in-char Facebook for EVE, and will allow certain game interactions via web portal)
    8. Eve Planetary Interaction released (possibly Q3 2010)
    9. Dust released around same time as Planetary Interaction
    10. Eve Incarna released (Q1 2011???)

The main thing to note about ANY Eve release or expansion is their "slowly slowly catchy monkey" rollout - the game at release will be the foundation and the players will have a huge impact on what CCP add to the base game in coming expansions.
    Mike0409 and EastCoasthandle say thanks.
  15. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Dust is a FPS and will have micro transactions ,i dont think a lot of pc players will interest a FPS with micro transactions ,it will be another fps on pc.
    I have zero interest with dust btw ,i dont even play FPS fames on pc but there is interest from eve players for pc version ,will they have or not? we will see later after console realese
  16. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    One other point that was stressed during fanfest was, although DUST is an FPS game it is also a MMO, so we should see persistance and some fairly huge battles as it will all hapen on one DUST server cluster which is linked to the Eve server cluster.