1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DUST! have you cleaned your CPU lately..?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flamingsupernova, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Flamingsupernova

Flamingsupernova New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

About a month ago my computer started to randomly shut down and restart itself.
    I thought the problem was software based, and i ran a few scans to see if there was anything wrong, and to see if there were any viruses.
    After finding out that my computer was clean of any viruses, * and about 3 and a half weeks of putting up with it*, I downloaded hardware sensors monitor, and did a CPU stability test.
    My CPU sat on 50 degrees IDLE, and as the stability test ran it peaked at 60 degrees.

I figured that my CPU was overheating under stress, and the safety feature on my board would make the computer restart to cool down the processor.

I decided to do something about it, so i opened up my computer.
    I took the fan off the heatsink to have a look, and what i saw was horrible, hehe.
    There were clumps of dust all through the heatsink, and the fan was covered in dust as well.

I cleaned all the dust of the fan with a tissue, and then shook it.
    Then i picked out all the dust on the heatsink, and blew at it.

I turned my computer back on, and opened up hardware sensors monitor and checked the results.

My CPU idle had dropped 13 degrees, mainboard had dropped 2 degrees average, and under load it peaked at 46-47. Also, the CPU fan had so much dust on it, that it was getting weigheed down enough to drop more than 200 rpm.
    It went from 2760 to 2965 rpm.

My computer has stopped restarting, and is actually working noticeably better.
    So if you're bored, or there is a problem with your system, check your CPU heatsink and fan, you processor life will be longer, and you'll get better performance

cheers guys!

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yup. common thing. as a techie, i have an air compressor ready to kill those dust bunnies on demad.

3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    air compressor is expensive - i just do it once a month with a fine paint brush.

4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here ... inch and a half paint brush ...

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It's true for all parts, including case fans, PSU, video card and all heatsinks (NB, etc.). I even modded my Koolance case so I can take out the radiator and blow that out when I feel the urge. Last time I cleaned, there was quite a bit of crap in the fins. And I don't have any pets at the moment.

I got an old PC from someone that was on 24/7 - I opened it up and took my gas powered leaf blower to it! Clouds of dust!!!! LOL.

6. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    The last time i cleaned my CPU/cooler is when i removed the heatspreader from it.
    That was last week.
    I have two mesh fan filters in my case. That helps a bit but reduces airflow.:ohwell:

7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i have 4 four fans now:
    one front blowing in
    one back blowing out
    and two side right next to my GCard blowing in

dust filters wont effect the cooling that much will they?

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dust filters knock back air aout 30%

as long as you have moving air in the case, the amount doesnt matter so much.

Oh and my compressor cost $120au, with hose/fittings. its really convenient :p

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no way am i spending that much - paint brush so much easier and cheaper. i was thinking though would an old deoderant can be usefull? compressed air with alocohol mostly?

10. bassmasta Guest

i have compressed air to clean the insides once a month, but dust really only comes up in places that i can wipe off with my hand

11. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only just got my new Q6600 and MB last week and my fan seems to be fine but occasionally I blow the dust of the fan or use a cloth. I remove dust from the front of my Antec 900 cause I noticed dust builds up there.

12. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Just buy a can of air. It's not going to break the bank......

13. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i find the 1" does the best job on fans because it can get into the blades better.

for cpu heatsink i use a 1 1/2" with the bristles cut off about half way. this stiffens the brush for better cleaning between the fins.

14. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i clean my case with a vacuum, then i take off the fans and wash them carefully
    i know vacuum has a lot of static on it, but... i try not to touch any boards with it...

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You can get one from Wal Mart for $20 worked for me anyways.

16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Just buy a can of compressed air. I got can a t wal-mart for under $6 and its just now getting low... it lasted me over half a year, and I use it all the timr. turn it upside down and kill spiders with the cold stuff :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well my dad bought an air compressor (he says he needs it...never saw him though lol) so I use that about once a month, and every few days just use a brush to get rid of the surface dust.

18. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm....I never had that problem..

I just got a compaq presario 5070. the fan has sooooooooooooooooo much dust it's crazy. I haven't bothered cleaning it, and it's ran 24/7 w/ out a hitch. lol.

AMD K6-2 350
    128MB SDRAM
    AT style :eek: (psu is LOADED with dust :roll:)

BUT I do clean the dust on my computer every 6 months. Simple canned air from walmart for 5 bucks and a paintbrush...

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I run an air cleaner in my computer room, and I use an air compressor to blow er' out once in a while. I have 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans not including the 2 exhaust fans on the psu.

20. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    try to "wash" you parts in pure alcohol this will help you remove any dirt and dust inside it

p.s. be smart unplug it first..

21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Then, wait half a week for your parts to dry out, then reassemble... :rolleyes:
    it's much simpler, easier, and faster to just take a can of compressed air (or an air compressor) to a few HSF's and fans once is awhile than it is to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Exactly...

If you have a bunch of systems or are really picky, simply buy a case of compressed air, its really cheap then... Cheap small air compressors are not that expensive either, just remember to give it a few second shot before you aim it at the system to get rid of any moisture in the lines, don't want that on your boards.

If you want a vacuum there are many hand held battery powered and corded static free vacuums specifically for electronics that work great, I bought a small one it cost me like $20, of course the 1 1/2" fine paint brush *static free* works wonders also.

23. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just cleaned mine it was full of drywall dust

24. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Can a small air compressor work, like the 1 which is used to pump wheels for a car?

25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    my Duron was like that cleaned the dust boom -20c drop...then after that i got mad into comps...and now my rig is open to much for it to accumulate