1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVD Authoring/editing/creation software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by KieranD, Jan 29, 2009.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    not sure whether someone has asked this before but i need some dvd authoring/creation software (hell whatever you call it lol)

i need to be able to take video and turn it into a playable dual layer dvd, like captured video

above board of course

i either need recommendations for free software or paid

i know some of you guys will be into this sort of thing thought id ask who has used what programs

thanks in advance guys :cool:

2. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    FAVC.

This is better than a whole lot of the programs out there that actually cost something. ConvertXtoDVD would be great if its encoding didn't suck so bad.

note: Version 1.7 has a bug where it always converts AC3 audio and won't let it pass through if you want it to pass through, so use 1.6 instead if it's 5.1 audio. But 1.7 can input vob files. Wish that audio problem would get fixed. It'd be near-perfect then.

That's for DVD creation. The built-in menu maker is a free program, simple to use, and thus very basic. If you want more than your choice of picture behind the names of the files for the menu, you'll have to look elsewhere for that.

I also like TMPG Author for menus. It's simple to use, and you can use your choice of 15-second part of the file as the preview in the menu. There are still things that can make prettier menus, but having six windows on the screen all looping their own 15-second preview of the file is good enough for me. It can be picky if you want to mix PAL and NTSC onto the same disc or things like that, but most people probably won't run into that problem.

There are other good menu programs, but I'm not a big menu guy, so I keep it quick and easy.

KieranD says thanks.
  3. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    DVD Flick or Encore

I like both but Encore is a bit more flexible if not more complicated.

KieranD says thanks.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    FAVC and DVD Flick ill try

i dont fancy all the extras that come with Adobe Encore i think you have to buy some premium package to get it

anyway im not doing professional work here otherwise id go for the adobe package

thanks

5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    how about making my own chapters, i dont fancy the every X amount of mins thing

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I use Nero Vision 5. It lets you make a title screen, menus, chapters, slide shows, import already-made films, etc.

Crunching for Team TPU