1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVD Burner seen as DVD-ROM drive only in Vista64

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EnglishLion, Mar 20, 2008.

1. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Help please, I've just upgraded to Vista home premium 64 and my Sony DW-Q28A DVD-RW drive is not seen as a burner for CDs or DVDs. So if I right click on it with a re-writable disk in I do not get an 'erase' option, when I right click on a file there's no 'send to>CD' option and in media player when I click onto the burn tab, it tells me to connect a burner and restart!

This drive worked just fine in XP, then I upraded my motherboard to an ASUS P5E3 and installed vista and now it doesn't! I seem to have everything setup ok in the bios, I've tried re-plugging the ide & power cables and the drive name is read as Sony DVD-RW but it won't function at all as a writer.

any ideas?
    :banghead:

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Check with Sony for Vista compatibility. Maybe there's a Vista driver that fixes it? A new Firmware with Vista support?

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i agree with danishdevil, it seems more like a vista issue, though its still possible that it might just be your new mobo and something in the bios.

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've checked on the sony website, no mention of my drive what so ever. Websites that link to the sony firmware download site end up with broken links.

I did however manage to find a site that was self hosting the firmware upgrades rather than linking to a non-existant sony page, downloaded the firmware, flashed, rebooted and saw no difference, except that vista reports a different firmware version!

I think I'll have to give up and buy a new DVD-RW, they are quite cheap anyway. Just thought there might be a registry edit or something to force vista to see it as a burner.

5. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    retry driver update see if vista finds a better driver.

6. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried - aparently I currently have 'the best driver for my hardware installed' :roll:

7. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I fixed my problem by ordering a new one. A day later it works just fine. I made no changes to BIOS or drivers but miraculously after ordering a new SATA DVD drive my old IDE one starts working :banghead:

So if anyone else has a Sony DW-Q28A drive, it DOES work with vista! At least it does on the v4 firmware, eventually... :confused:

8. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol it always works that way :banghead::toast:

9. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it's just occured to me why this has suddenly started working... I installed vista sp1. Looks like I've found a use for sp1 after all :)

10. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had a similar problem but in XP ,where the the erase option was greyed out and couldnt be selected ,seems this was due to me having Alcohol 120% installed at the same time as Nero lol

after removing alc 120% i could suddenly erase again in nero?!?!