1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVD Burner started locking up recently

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gilletter, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    :confused::confused::confused:Anyone in here know how to troubleshoot a dvd burner? It worked fine not too long ago... I tried to burn a dvd but it locks up everytime. When I insert a game or movie (cd or dvd) in the drive it goes through an infinite loop of checking the disk and never shows up. I've went through all the steps on windows troubleshooting... I even flashed to the newest firmware I could find for the drive. Also, under my device settings it says that the drive is working... Anyone...? :confused::confused::confused:
  2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you smoke? or have a wood fireplace?

I have fixed many a drive by opening the tray and blowing air into there. They sell 'canned air' at walmart.

Sometimes you need to pull the drive, take the case screws out and faceplate off. Get access to the actual eye and clean it with alcohol (99%)
  3. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    no I don't smoke, no fireplace. I'll try pulling it apart now and wiping it off with alcohol... any other suggestions in case that doesn't work... It just seems weird that it would just stop like that, but still SEEM to funtion (i.e. opens, closes, access light comes on and off, and windows SAYS it's working...)
  4. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    probably full of dust. mine was a while ago, runs good as new after taking apart an cleaning, regrease rails, runners etc
  5. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Ok I tried taking it apart... got to where I felt comfortable and couldn't even see the optical eye... I blew air through it and still does the same thing... swapped it over to a slave drive instead of master just to see... and nothing... Anyone know how to get to the eye on a Lite-on dvdrw?
  6. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    not sure on that drive but for most theres a metal plate over the drive tray, remove that, but be careful cleaning the lens and around it, i took mine apart completely to get rid of all dust, an its not something i do often so might as well do a good job of it.
  7. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    ok I cleaned it and it's not locking the computer up now, but it still doesn't recognize when theres a cd/ dvd in the drive... any next step to rectify that problem? lol...
  8. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    could be 3 things,
    1: lens still dirty/dusty, try a lens cleaning solution with cotton bud,
    2: lens has become misaligned, theres a screw to adjust but its difficult to set it to what it was, usually located above one of the metal rails, try 1/4-1/2 turns tightening at a time if trying this
    3: drive is just screwed.
  9. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna go with 3... lol... oh well... I'll have to wait till I can afford to buy a new one... :cry:
  10. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    my pioneer drive has lasted about 4 years, gotten through a fair amount of disks, id recommend those for reliability.
  11. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    once you clean them they are good as dead because you have to clean them all the time there after. At least that's how it's always worked for me.

U can get a new DVD burner for 27usd over at newegg.