1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVD/CD Rom missing from device manager

Discussion in 'General Software' started by autigerfan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 Entertainment Notebook. AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz. Ram 3.00 GB and 64-Bit Operating System. I had Windows Vista and did a clean install of Windows 7. While using Vista, I burned important files onto DVDs. After installing Windows 7, my DVD/CD Rom drive is not working.

I tried to update the drivers but I couldn't find them. I went into Device Manager to update them, but it's missing. I put in both a CD and DVD to see if it would pop-up and nothing. I went to Microsoft and tried their Fix-It and it couldn't find any device. URL here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116. I then went and followed the advice at this site: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-missing/b768bfbe-652a-43b8-ade3-29969d26b000 and no such luck.

The only thing that could possibly be a problem is something called a Coprocessor which is giving me an exclamation point in the device manager. I think it's related to a missing driver for the memory card. I'm prompted to go to the HP Company website to udpate it but I get an error message any time that I do so.

Please help.
  2. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I booted Windows 7 off a DVD. It worked just fine. It's definitely a driver issue. The problem is that nothing will detect the CD ROM drive so it can be updated. It's as if it doesn't exist in my system.
  4. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Install driver for your chipset.
  5. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering is it detected in the BIOS.

If you have tryed everything you know and you know everything is installed eg: chipset

Then take a look here, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;314060

my vista install done it a while back and this fixed it.
    Its not the same fix for 7, its done thought the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.(oh joy :rolleyes: )
  6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I remember running into this issue when building a PC for my ex girlfriends parents. It was a registry issue. Maybe Google that?
  7. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I updated the chipset and no luck.
    The BIOS is recognizing the CD Rom drive and I've even restored it to default in just in case and no luck.
    I did the website already for Fix-It and no luck.
    I went through the registry and dealt with the UpperFilters and LowerFilters following this site: http://windows7themes.net/dvd-drive-not-recognized-in-windows-7.html. And no luck.

I'm thinking of checking the cables but this seems like it isn't a hardware issue. Any thoughts?
  8. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Have you done a reinstall to see if the problem persists?
  9. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I did a reinstall. And nothing.

I'm thinking maybe this is Santa telling me to get a new laptop for Christmas. :)