1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVI --> HDMI converter

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Pinchy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I had my computer and television, one has a HDMI port and the other doesnt. They both have DVI ports. Would it be worth getting one of these DVI to HDMI converters?

Personally, I would think its the same as just having a straight DVI connection because DVI is there anyway. Am I correct in saying this, or would I get HDMI support if I use one of these?

2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    if they both have dvi, there is no point in getting the adapter, as hdmi is just the same as dvi with audio basically. So no, don't bother getting an adapter

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    even if you got the hdmi adapter, it would be the same thing as using dvi, since any benefit you'd have w/ hdmi is lost when converted through dvi. so yea, stick w/ the dvi. it'll be cheaper and give you the same performance.

4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    agreed. the DVI to HDMI and vice versa converters are mainly for TVs and such. Some had only DVI for their HD connections while some dvd players and such have HDMI. thats where it comes in handy. As for your VC, Id go DVI to DVI and route the sound to the surround speakers or to the tv itself, unless you have kick ass speakers.