1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dvi to Hdmi converter

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aCeFr3aK, Mar 23, 2010.

1. aCeFr3aK

aCeFr3aK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am looking to buy a new monitor, i recently posted asking about which monitor to get.
    I am looking to getting something bigger than a 24" but at or under 30". My complete max for price would be $400 dollars. But my question is this, i have a Visiontek 4870 512mb graphics card and it has 2 dvi ports. If i got a dvi to hdmi converter so it could run off hdmi would i loose quality running at full size or something?

here are the three choices so far

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112019&cm_re=sceptre-_-24-112-019-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047

Thanks!
  2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    so why did you make another thread for the same thing 20mins later :shadedshu
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    They all look great the ASUS is cheaper .
  4. aCeFr3aK

aCeFr3aK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im asking about the difference between using just a dvi cable from graphics to monitor or using a dvi to hdmi from graphics to monitor. Will the quality be different?
  5. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will be the same quality. there is quality lose on dvi to hdmi and hdmi to dvi converters.

Wiki
    Compatibility with DVI

A DVI-HDMI adapter

An HDMI-DVI adapter
    A DVI signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion is required when an adapter or asymmetric cable is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.[3] As such, HDMI is backward-compatible with Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) as used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable. However, the audio and remote-control features of HDMI will not be available unless the output supports HDMI via a DVI plug (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards).[3] Additionally, not all devices with DVI input support High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Without such support by the device, an HDCP-enabled signal source will suppress output and so prevent the device from receiving HDCP-protected content.[88] All HDMI devices must support sRGB encoding
  6. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    dont you think you could of asked that in your other thread ?

and are you going to be gaming at that res or just want the size ?
  7. aCeFr3aK

aCeFr3aK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well all two of those monitors have 1920 X 1200 res and the last one has a 1920 X 1080 res.

I plan on gaming at those resolutions. I could have but i knew that post a new one asking about the quality would have gotten more attention then an older one (and it wasnt 20mins) that had different title then the question.
  8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    lol idk why did i see the wrong time :p

but i would get a 1920 X 1200