1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fbmbirds, Mar 24, 2008.

1. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    which to use when hooking a pc to a hdtv?
  2. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your needs. Using a DVI connection is easy if you're running your speakers directly from the PC. HDMI ports sound through to the TV.
    fbmbirds says thanks.
  3. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    im using it as a video connection dual 8800gts dvi to hdmi becuase im using a hdtv?
  4. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    If your TV has a dvi port just use that. The vid card has to support hdmi audio, if it doesn't its somewhat pointless to use hdmi. Both hdmi and dvi carry the same signal quality.
    fbmbirds says thanks.
  5. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    my tv only has hdmi and vga my video cards have dvi im about to go get a hdmi to dvi cable which cable should i get dvi-d dvi-i theres so many
  6. quasar923 Guest

i have a dvi to hdmi cable that i dont use, its never been used i ordered the wrong thing i wanted a dvi-dvi cable. i could sell it to ya
  7. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    ? im about to walk out the door right now do u live near fort bragg ? ill come over then
  8. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    precisely, but as you're now saying your TV does not have DVI. If all you want is Video, then you're best off with a DVI male(from PC) to HDMI Male (to TV) connector. DVI-I is more versatile in case you for some reason need to transmit an analog DVI signal at some point (is does Analog and Digital), DVI-D will work the same. Just don't get a DVI-A cable.
    fbmbirds says thanks.
  9. quasar923 Guest

i have no clue where that is. i live in southern maine
  10. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Get a DVI-D to HDMI. I got a 15 footer off of monoprice for like $9 shipped. If you need the cable buy it from monoprice.com. They are higher quality than Monster as well.
    fbmbirds says thanks.
  11. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    dvi-d dual link or single?
    what about dvi-i dual link single link which is the best for gaming
  12. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the max resolution of your monitor? The Dual links simply allow for higher resolutions. Any of them should work just fine for your needs unless you're hooking up to a 2500x1600 resolution screen.
    fbmbirds says thanks.
  13. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    1920 by 1080 so i have a hdmi dvi-d single thats what im using. so if i go out and buy a dvi-d dual or dvi-i single or dual it wont help my graphics out at all it wont help in proformance.??? im a noob when it comes to dvi
  14. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Single will be fine, I run a 40" 1920x1080 no problem with single
  15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gold plating, shielding and all this other similar stuff will have no effect on your signal quality. its a digital connection - it either works or it wont. so dont pay premium prices on hdmi cables
    Mussels says thanks.
  16. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    W1zzard is right, there is no need for gold plated or extra shielded cable connections... this is NOT a VCR to TV cable....

the only thing to worry is the length of the cable...
    just get one for about 15 usd or 10 euro, and you' ll be fine....
  17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll agree with this. i bought a gold plated one out of curiosity and its no better than using a DVI cable.

Just remember that you wont get audio through HDMI this way, if that matters to you. (My TV has a 3.5mm audio input on VGA, but not for HDMI)
  18. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Actually digital connections are affected by signal quality. I've never seen issues with HDMI/DVI cabling though for example ATA, SCSI, UTP etc cabling does underperform when the signal degrades. When data fails to reach the other end of the cable it has to be resend, this hurts performance. Of course this is also dependent on the protocol used, I doubt a video signal is checked like for example TCP packets, data wont be send again. Though comparable to UDP losing a few packets won't matter, losing a lot will. If your logic was correct high performance cables wouldn't be different from low quality ones. For example CAT5 vs CAT6 or U160 vs U320. Cables are nearly the same, mostly some twists that make up the difference.

So even though I agree wasting cash on premium DVI cables is a bad idea, the logic behind it is flawed. I would say it is safe to assume a cable works at it's rated performance, ie the DVI cable is suited for a DVI signal. The only reason it should fail is when you run the cable next to a microwave or something or you're reaching the limit of the DVI standard.
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    a microwave or too long a cable wont matter if its gold or cheese, those problems will still be the same.

The point is that under normal use, a more expensive cable yields no gains - you're better off spending more money on a longer cable, or just moving the PC away from the microwave.
  20. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A Microwave is an extreme source of interference. Think of radio signals and the likes, those are very common. That's why cables are shielded/twisted, it does make a difference. Then again, feel free to build networks over CAT3 cables if you really believe CAT6 is no different.
  21. fbmbirds New Member

Thanks Received:
    true to that dan
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    lol i certainly keep the microwave away from my hardware.

I just think you're being a little extreme over this, as i've never seen interferece on my HDTV - mobile phones always made my CRT screens go banannas, but having it right over the top of the HDMI cable while in a call made no difference whatsoever.
  23. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    i am using the component cables (the red, green and blue ones) to connect my pc to 32 inch hdtv. works well and runs the native resolution of 1366 X 768.
  24. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i use a dvi->hdmi cable hooking up a mac book pro to my 42in 1080p tv and it looks amazing. if you are gonna hook up your pc then use the dvi->hdmi cable and then use an optical cable to carry the audio to your tv. most tvs have them.
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i had trouble with component not letting me choose the right refresh rate, did you have any problems like that?

1280x720 worked, but this screen doesnt like anything thatss not ending in 768

1080p screens might, but cheaper ones like my 40" dont.