1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DX10 for XP ?!?!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mikey8684, Mar 25, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    dunno about this whole thing..installed both packs and all games run fine / maybe slight better ...played Overlord, Crysis & Assassins creed..all worked fine or little better ..so no harm caused..but my eye didnt catch any significant changes ..maybe cause my card is so crappy and i run them with medium settings..:rockout:
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's cool that people are seeing some increases in visual quality...but I think more testing needs done..before with screens and FRAPS...and after with the same.

I haven't looked into this much, but how reversable is this...if at all? Is a fresh XP install required? I don't have a DX10 supporting card yet...so I'm not too worried, but I hope it doesn't screw those of you out there that are trying it.

Definately interesting...looking forward to seeing more results! :toast:
  4. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    When installing dx it's best to do so in Safe mode as it has a tendency to over write any new files in normal mode.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Well, in that case bta, I experiece no problems with RE6:Vegas. Kursah, unfortunately there isn't an "uninstaller" it would require a fresh installation of windows to remove it once installed.
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish someone would find a real way to get dx10 to work in XP.. I really dont want to go back to Vista.
  7. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh if you have a dx10 card, and you hack up Vista, It isn't too bad. anyways bottom line here is DX10 is for Vista only. Why haven't they got it to run in XP? because its very specific to the architecture of the OS. Wine can't run it because they have reversed engineered it, yet mind you. Really if you want to use your card for the reason you got it, buy Vista or do what I did. Go to college, become some sort of Information science major, and get Vista for free through msdnaa!
  8. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Or you can always just play around with it. I know it doesn't bug me that it doesn't work that well. I just like to play around with stuff and make things work the way they weren't intended to.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    bah there is a way to make it work there always is and always will be
  10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Funny enuff Vista aint that bad i reckon but what do i no i seem to be in minority with that lol
  11. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats true but no one has reversed engineered it yet. if they can use it on wine, then they'll figure out how to use it in xp. but by then, a new version of directx will be out, vista will be the standard, and Windows 7 will be close to release.
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i doubt vista will ever become standard i think with windows 7 on its way out everyone will stick with XP and go to W7...kinda like ME was skipped
  13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Depends if ms drops support for xp wich it will do sometime.
  14. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Don't they stop sale and support June this year or next?
  15. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    They sure do man this year i think june 30
  16. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    :(
  17. bassmasta Guest

idk... I hear w7 will have a new kernel, which means it should have unreasonably huge problems with all existing software.
  18. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    its suppose to be a scaled down kernal from vista which will be less resource hungry im not sure about backward compatibility though.
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    vista had a new kernel so there is no reason that this can't be compatible with old programs. hell old windows 95 programs run in XP just fine and thats a switch from DOS based!
  20. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i had 1 BSOD with Overlord when starting it but no other probs..plus my XP feels kinda cheesy dunno why? Gonna reinstall XP later maybe..will cope with this for a while..maybe other problems with my OS not with those "dx 10" files..
  21. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why people just don't go to Windows Vista if they want DX10 that bad. :banghead:
  22. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    If you can read one of my previous posts you will see why. I just like to tinker with things. How about you? Do you enjoy making things work the way they were not intended to? I have no problem going to Vista, as matter of fact I may reinstall it again over the weekend and dual boot just for the sake of it.
  23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did but I had too many problems and I couldnt even run it anyway..
  24. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    ive been all over vista since the RC1 stages (technet is a wonderful resource)
    which hardware config did you experience such difficulties with, Certainly not the parts in your sig?
    I find it hard to believe that you run the 2005 x64 release of xp without a much larger support and compatability struggle than vista...
    i used to have to dual boot for my tv card with the x64 build....im finding your arguments against vista a little hard to fathom
    i was running x64 on my 939 based amd rig the only issue i had with vista wasnt with vista persey more to do with shitty nvidia driver dev...so i ditched nv based stuff and floated on the clouds for a while...AMD howevr have been like gods with thier driver support and dev for vista.

What i find most amusing is so called IT & T proffesionals reluctance to remain at the cutting edge with the vista os...how can you shun something that WILL BE?IS industry standard....not supporting vista is like stealing mooney from yourself....."Oh i hate UAC Cuz it makes me click between critical operations" WTF...iat least you dont need a console and sudo to do anything all in all i think its a great way to log in as root....support your industry you close minded tards.</rant>
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Major corporations don't update to newer versions of Windows very often because they use custom software that must remain 100% stable at all times. Switching to a new OS breaks compatibility with many of those apps. Hell, just installing IE7 on XP breaks some of these apps, as do run-of -the-mill security updates. Thus the reason there are still a large number corporation still using OSes as old as 2000 Pro.